• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Gluing resin

Started by ak-milw, August 24, 2008, 08:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak-milw

I am a newbie when it comes to resin kits. I have done a few resin truck kits in 1/87 scale and used basic AC glue. I am now venturing into a few boxcars and was wondering is there something better to use for an item that will be handled a lot more??

chester

Someone else may have some other ideas but I have found the AC adhesives to be all that works for me with resin. Some of the resin structures I have built, I reinforced with blocks of wood adhered with a hot glue gun but I would not recommend this type of glue for the basic model assembly (heat warps resin) however reinforcing the corners in some way may be helpful in making the models more rugged.

marc_reusser

I agree with Chester. ACC is pretty much the standard for gluing resin. I tend to use the med. thickness (viscosity) or heavy thickness ACC for the task, as it lets itself be neatly and evenly spread on the joint surface with a toothpick (or other preferred tool).

Since you have glued resin I am sure you already do the following, but just in case:

1. Wash all parts with warm water and liquid dish-soap (It is suggested that you don't use liquid hand-soap, as these often have lanolins or other softening agents that can possibly impede the bond of glues and paints)

2. I lightly sand both surfaces to be bonded, as this gives some roughness/tooth for the glue to better adhere to (note...all sanding should be done prior to the washing step)

3. On interior corners/joints that will not be visible I often come back in and reinforce the joint by adding a bead of ACC and embedding a piece of styrene rod (on the outside recess o which can be added an additional bead of ACC if required.  An example of this can be seen in the opening post of this thread:

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=231.msg2279#new

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

ak-milw

Thanks guy's for the speedy response.
Marc,
Those are the steps I usualy take. I like the idea of extra supports in the corners, I will be using that also.

I just found the site a few days ago and might be doing more watching than posting. You folks are way ahead of my talents. Thanks for taking the time to show your secrets.