• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Coarse Rust Texture

Started by marc_reusser, July 24, 2014, 05:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

A Dullcoat wetted brush is dipped into the Microballoons to create a varied slurry/dry-ish paste mix an then dabbed/stipple onto the surface areas....here primarily near the water line...to create heavy/coarse built up rust....In this case of a mooring buoy it was really heavy and blistery.

This is a very different texture result from using thinned putty or Mr. Surfacer. Much more granular. It needs to be used carefully....especially at scales like 1/24 and smaller...it can quickly become a caricature. You want to make sure that the prototype example actually has this heavy/coarse of a build-up.

My approach was an adaptation of something Gordon did, where he lightly wetted spots areas with super glue, and then randomly sprinkled/dusted the micro balloons over it.

I wanted/needed a much heavier layered, random and built up texture....hence the mixing of a bonding agent prior to application, and the dabbed/stipple application.

Here is the reference photo that I am basing the piece on. Gordon took this and sent it to me because he knew I wouldn't be able to resist.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks Ray.

Some more on this.

Light coat of black and rust tones, sealed with Dullcoat.

Here is another application for what will be a heavily rusted water-logged steel ladder.

Some coloring, and acrylic and oil washes, and it's ready to set in place for final detailing and weathering into the scene.

M-Works

Peter_T1958

Hello Marc

Ideed, a modelling subject hard to resist!  I am awaiting with interest to see how it will look when it's finished.
Something else, which will be interesting to see for me, ist how you will build up the algaes close to the waterline.
I tried Heki micro flakes (HEKI Mikrolaub Belaubungsflocken), but for 1/50 scale they are too coarse. Therefore I am grateful for every suggestion.

Cheers, Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Most adequate. A successful experiment. -- Russ

BKLN

YESSSS! Those must be complimentary studies to finalize "Watery Grave"!  ;D

Gordon Ferguson

Oh I would not hold your breath, think WG is still someway down the track  :-\
Gordon

Alexandre

marc_reusser

Thanks guys. Sorry for the bad pics..just quick phone snappies, resized on the phone...here one in progress to show eventual context.

M-Works

narrowgauger

Mark

I have had good results using cracked pepper as a basis for course rusk and even better to simulate barnacles on marine models.

the best method that I have come up with is to place whole black pepper in a heavy plastic bag and hit it at random with a hammer, remove from the bag and sieve out the overly coarse material (which can go back into the bag for more pounding).  This results in a nice random particle selection, which should be used without further manipulation.

commercially ground pepper does not achieve the same results.

have fun & stay cool
BernardS

5thwheel

Has any one tried super glue with baking soda sprinkled on it?  Use thin glue for filling and thick for buildup. I make miniature tinware, buckets,kerosene cans,sprinkling cans etc. I like to grind random holes in them along the bottoms and then using the baking soda-glue thing build up rotten, rusty tin. It takes paint very well.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.