• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hydrographics

Started by Chuck Doan, December 02, 2014, 02:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

I wonder if anyone has seen the use of water transfer printing on models?  Seems to me it could make a wonderful rusty surface or maybe a camo pattern. Seems perfect for model car bodies.

Google it and watch some you-tube videos if you are un-familiar; it is an amazing process.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

I see it and its magical, my wife makes silk scarves with a similar bath of colors , it you watch closely the guys arm gets the carbon fiber look.
I have a lot of how questions, but it's cool
make it work your the master and your looking for new techniques, be the trail blazer  ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Ray Dunakin

I never even heard of this until now, but it looks interesting. Would be great if you could print your own patterns, for instance, using a photo of a rusted surface, etc.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

We should learn more about this process. It is fascinating but seems very complex. I've never heard of hydrographics so I read about it on Wikipedia and know almost no more than I did before I read Chuck's post. If anybody can explain it simply, starting with how you would use a digital image to create the basic graphic and then continue from there, you would be doing all of us a favor. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Printable film in various sizes is apparently available online; so you can use your own image...print it on the film, and then do the process.

This has interest/potential, on some sections of the Berlin wall I have on order....it looks like it might be a possibility for copying the and creating the huge amount of mural/art/graffiti found on many sections.

...also looks interesting for customizing some bike frames.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

If you actually use the process would you please do a step-by-step here? -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

Here is a website, the film is affordable, the other parts necessary, not so much........?
www.hgarts.com
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho