• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

3D warehouse

Started by Hauk, April 29, 2015, 07:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

I am a lazy bum, so I always try to find shortcurts in my modelling projects.  And sometimes projects dont seem to justify a lot of modelling time. The little bus project outlined in this thread is such a project. I decided to base a model on a Ford/GAZ AA truck that has quite similiar wheels to the REO chassis. I have ordered a plastic kit and some resin wheels from track48

But then I thought I might find some 3D models floating around in interspace, and I did a search at 3Dwarehouse. this is a HUGE archive of Sketchup models available for download (its free!)

And lo and behold, I found a very nice 3D model of a Ford/GAZ AA truck:

I have just had a quick look at the model in SU, but it looks very well made. I think it would be possible to get a lot of printable parts from that model, and of course  I can print it to exact 1/45 wich is  our scandinavian flavour of 0-Scale.

I have not checked out the licensing of the models, but at least  for non-commercial projects you can do what you please with the models.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

If you print the truck or its parts please show the results. Using SketchUp and a printer to produce the kind of model we all might use is the most accurate way to evaluate the state of the art. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I am sure in your search you ran across TurboSquid and some of the other 3d warehouse sites. Some if those have extreme detailed and thorough models. Some of them cost (especially the extreme detailed and accurate ones) but there are so free ones. One thing I have noticed on many models anywhere....and it makes sense, as these are generally meet to be viewed not printed, is that sheet metal surfaces (such as the hood and cab on your GAZ) tend to be only one pixel thick...IE it is a basic 2 sided surface with no thickness....so printing them is an issue.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

I have been looking around there but most of the files are not for "us" or worse than mine! (that's saying a lot!).
Then;
I looked for lampshades for the machine shop and found a good one.
I downloaded it, removed the lightbulb and cord and up loaded it.
Once I uploaded it I was able to scale it to my needs and it's ready to print!

https://www.shapeways.com/model/upload-and-buy/3396332

I need to put several on a sprue to save some money.

-Marty