• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

I'll Take that Locomotive to go

Started by Jim Kottkamp, March 12, 2016, 02:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Kottkamp

This is a photo provided by Sandy Macham of a Baldwin 2-6-2T, Canadian Forest Products locomotive #112 which was put on display at the dry sort of Canadian Forest Products, now Western forest Products located at Beaver Cove near the town of Port McNeil on north eastern Vancouver Island. In the 1974 the engine was placed there for display rather than being cut up for scrap.  The engine was towed to the dry sort and lifted off the track with a Raygo Wagner model L120 with a lift and pack capability of 60 tons. It required the help of a Cat 966 log stacker to hold up the fuel tank end.  The engine has been removed from it's display location and is currently being restored to operating condition by the Western Vancouver Island Industrial Heritage Society.

Ray Dunakin

I wonder how much damage was done to the loco trying to move it that way??

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 12, 2016, 12:44:06 PM
I wonder how much damage was done to the loco trying to move it that way??

That was my first thought as well.
You can see the forks between the drivers.
Is the load resting on the side rods and their pins
or are they on the frame somehow?

Jim Kottkamp

Exactly what I thought.  The only damage to the engine was a chip out of the smoke stack.  There was blocking under the frame so the weight of the engine was not on the rods.  This engine is in excellent condition...except for a lot of rust on none-critical parts.  The locomotive received a complete rebuild just before it was replaced by a diesel, so the boiler, pistons, and all bearings are in excellent condition.  Part of the salvation was the engine was oil fired, so the smoke box was coated with oil and the rain did not penetrate this protective coating.