• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HO RC Solutions for Large Scale Applications

Started by Jim Kottkamp, March 27, 2016, 10:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Kottkamp

The Crest Renovation HO control system offers some exciting RC Battery operations for Large Scale use.  The smallest model I have in 1:20.3 is an Accucraft RGS #1 (converted Ford Model T) that used to work on track power.  I installed a 12 volt battery pack into the bonnet along with the recharging posts, a 1 Amp fuse and on/off switch.  The original RGS 1 had side curtains that included a pair of leather curtains nailed to the sides of the windshield frame.  These curtains cover the 12 volt power wires so they are out of sight.

To conserve battery power I removed the original motor replaced it with a micro motor obtained from Larry Milo at PSME.  The Crest HO receiver was a tight fit, but mounted in the underframe between the motor and the speaker box (just under the differential on the rear axle).  I added a micro motor with a reduction gear box from Phill's Narrow gauge under the front seat to provide the motion needed to allow the motorman to waive his hand and turn his head on command.

The Speeder works very smoothly and I've found the Crest HO receiver reliable.  The LED headlights turn on when in forward motion, and the animation of the motorman is also controlled from the transmitter.  Crest does not have Speeder sounds available yet, but they can be added later.     
I've also begun the conversion of a 1:20.3 RGS Goose using a Crest HO receiver.  It will allow the Goose full RC control (lights, waiving engineer and sound) with nothing on the back flatbed area.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

Jim,
That is really something, I have to learn more about this!
Nice rail truck by the way.
Rick

Barney

Yes I agree very nice rail truck and the fitting of a RC control very cool - but can any one tell me why as soon as RC gear is mentioned for use in Railway engines the price of the RC equipment goes through the roof ! but small units are around ready built example - a mini measuring 4ins long complete with charger/hand held transmitter-controler forward and reverse /steering/ working lights in a box ready to go all for £19 or a helicopter ready to go £24 and the best 2 motor bikes each only measuring 3ins long and very narrow complete with all the gear ready to race £20 also at the top of the list a Caterpillar tractor type thing for use on the Moon I think £19 (very low geared)
Has any one out there had a go to use this type of thing for model trains - will it work I ask the price is defiantly at the top of my list
Barney

Lawton Maner

Scale should have no influence on the electronics.  It's up to the modeler to salvage the equipment from the toy and then fit into the model and wire it to do the tricks you want.  Modelers have adapted RC servos for years to many applications not thought about by those who like to fly and crash expensive models, so adapting the electronics from a $30.00 toy to another use is within the skill set of most of this group.  BTW, there is a growing movement in model railroading called "The Dead Rail Society" who might be able to give guidance.

Ray Dunakin

I think the price difference has to do with the manufacturing quantities. Things like R/C cars and helicopters are made and sold by the millions, so the per unit cost can be pretty small. R/C equipment made specifically for trains is a much smaller market.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World