• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

How to cut a Zot

Started by Jim Kottkamp, April 07, 2016, 06:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Kottkamp

OK, what's a Zot (photo 1)?  Zots are clear adhesive dots that come on a roll of none-stick paper.  Think of them as Scotch Tape Adhesive that is placed on a release sheet. 
What do you use them for?  I use Zots primarily for holding wires in place so they don't float around inside a tender or car frame.
They come in small medium and large sizes (photo 1 shows a medium Zot - about 1/4 inch in diameter).
They will stick to anything, which is wonderful and a curse.  The problem I had was I didn't need a circular adhesive strip, I needed a 1/16 inch wide adhesive strip for wires.
After a number of failures, which were all followed with mineral spirit wipes to clean knives and scissors, I finally found a system that works.
First, LIGHTLY oil the scissors - too much will neutralize the Zot's stickiness.  A fine film is all that is needed.  One oiling will accommodate about 3 cuts before re-oiling is needed.
Second, cut the release sheet in a strip and fold it back over the Zot so there is release paper on both sides of the Zot (photo 2)
Third, cut the Zot into strips appropriate for what you are attaching.
Fourth, either stick the strip onto the spot where you need it or carefully peal the Zot off or use tweezers or a knife blade and to place it where you need it (photo 3).
Once in place just press the wire or other object on the Zot strip and it will stay where you put it.  In most cases the wire can be pealed off when you need, and re-attached later.

Bill Gill

Thanks, Jim. I thought "Zot!" was the sound the anteater in the BC comicstrip made.
The adhesive dots should be handy for a lot of things. I found some awhile ago made by Elmer's to use for some around the house stuff, but neat idea to use for models for to hold things securely yet be still be removable if needed.

finescalerr

Good information. Thanks. And I'll be careful to avoid leaving Zots on my chair .... -- Russ