• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

2"-scale Decker style log loader

Started by Waldbahner, November 10, 2008, 02:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waldbahner

Hello modellers,

since I changed the theme of my 2" scaled railroad to US logging, I was looking for a way to load my logcars. Several years ago I build a tunnel loader in Fn3, so I decided to do so too in 2" scale. My choise was a Decker styled log loader. Infos about the prototype can be found on Marcs website www.steaminthewoods.com

I started with the trucks, made from flatbar and rec pipe, bolted to a massiv wooden bolster.

To be continue ...

Waldbahner

Next step was the lower main frame with the rails for the log cars. I used steel U-chanel, welded together. The rail ramps can be folted up during moving the loader. The main frame is 17.3" weidth and 31.5" long. The length from rail ramp end to rail ramp end is 86.6".

To be continue ...

Waldbahner

The uprights are also made from U-chanel. The upper deck is supported on steel angels. The diagonal griders are made from flatbar.

To be continue ...

Waldbahner

The wooden swing boom was mounted in the typical way, used  by Clyde Iron Works, the prototype manufacturer of the Decker loaders.

The winch assembly is made from multiplex plywood and all shafts are beared in ball bearings. The winches are driven by hand cranks, while the boom is powered by a hand lever.

To be continue ...

Waldbahner

As all winches are driven by hand cranks, the steam engine and boiler are just dummys, made from wood and plastic. Most of the backhead details and piping is still missing and will follow as time allows.

Actually, I'm working on the super structure and coal bunker. The water tank between the trucks, hanging under the frame, was filled with concrete as also the boiler. This all will be counter weight for the logs.

A small clip of the loader in operation is posted on youtube
=> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9dUX1teBZg

Bye, Gerd

PS.: To be conitnue ...

lab-dad

VERY KOOL!
Thanks for sharing, wow 2" scale, and I thought 3/4" was BIG!
At that scale, why not go full size?! ;D
Very interesting.
-Marty

marc_reusser

Wow very cool. One heck of a project! Nice work.

How big is that model?

Did you decide to do a Decker instead of a Cody, or is the Cody a different project?

Are you going to build flatcars to use with it also?

Why the coal Bunker?.....you planning on actually firing this with real coal?

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion; If possible you may want to consider replacing the chain holding the boom, and the chains from the boom-stay to the rear of the loader, with cables. In proto practice, chains would not really have the same tensile strength properties as cables.

BTW.  If you need any larger builders plan images or other info that is not on the site, let me know; am happy to help if needed.

Look forward to your progress.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Waldbahner

Hello Marc,

the basic framework meassueres 1.45' (440mm) by 2.6' (800mm) that represents 9 by 16 foot in prototype. As I know, there was no Decker build for 30 inch gauge, so I rescaled them a bit to match with my other stuff.
With the rail ramps down on the tracks, the loader is 7.2' (2200mm) long from end to end. The boom is made from 2" diam. wood and 4.8' long. Once the loader is finished and the weather is fine, I'll make some better photos outside the workshop with size comparsion.

Yes, I build the Decker instead of the Cody. I like working with would, so the Cody looks like the better choise at first. But the steel frame of the Decker adds more weight to the whole model that's needed for a good stand on the rails, exspecialy during loading. There are also much more informations and better photos avaiable of the Decker. At last, I found a number of steel chanel and flatbars in my workshop for the frame.

Flatcars would be nice too to operate with this loader. But I've to check the clearance inside the loader, because I build this part very low to keep the overall height in proportion.

But I've to check the clearance inside the loader, because I build this part very low to keep the overall height in proportion.

As my loader is hand powered, the steam engine is just a dummy. Like this loader (http://www.steaminthewoods.com/CraigMtn/CraigMtnLCo_DeckerLoader_copy.jpg), I'll add a small coal bunker on the rear, filled with concrete and a layer of real coal on top. I'll need this as counter weight for heavy loads.

Replacing the chains with cables is a good idea. Thanks for this suggestion.

At the moment, I'm not sure with the supper structure, I tried to work close on this prototype plus an additional swing boom.

So what to do... a closed cab or a open one.... I think a open cab would be nice to show all the details, but that requieres to model those detail ;-) Well, this week, I'll have no time for working on the loader, so I've some time to find the right solution for me.

Bye, Gerd

Chuck Doan

Very impressive! I don't know how you go from N scale to this!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Waldbahner

Quote from: Chuck Doan on November 11, 2008, 11:10:27 AM
I don't know how you go from N scale to this!

It's the live steam virus... a very bad one ;-) N-scale is fine for watching, but when you've ever had the chande to ride and drive a live steam locomotive in such a large scale, you'll understand it. It's a totally different way to enjoy model railroading. It's hard to explain it... you have to try it...

Bye, Gerd

John McGuyer

I vote for the open cab as we would all like to see your modeling of all those details.

John

Waldbahner

Well... this will need many more hours of work... but also fun ;-)

The open version has another great advantage for me, because the side wall will collide with the boom stay cables, running to the back of the loader.

Maybe I'll have some time this evening to make some progress. If not, I'll be back on this project next week.

Bye, Gerd