• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Locomotive Works

Started by michael mott, January 31, 2009, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

Hi Russ At the moment the brown Brick structure is actually quite detailed re the bricks they are 3D. the colour will look the same as the printed three story one when it is fully detailed more like this.

Michael

michael mott

Cant stop tinkering yet.

Michael

michael mott

Made a start on the turntables today, general construction card, styrene, and wood (pine) cut the disks out with a sharpened compass glued the card to the styrene with rubber cement, styrene to styrene with plastruct styrene cement, and wood to styrene with CA. used the micro mill to do the recesses then a hand held pin vice with a drill in a drill guide to center the hole for the grant Line nut bolt washer.

Michael

michael mott

More pictures. one of the drill guide a piece of 1/16th copper tube soldered into a brass holder. one nearly complete I ran out of nuts.

Michael

finescalerr

Carlo

Nice Turntable, Mike. Glad to see you back at work. How do you plan to support and pivot the TT?
Is there a "mechanism" underneath?  Is it "hand driven?
Carlo

michael mott

Good morning Carlo,
QuoteHow do you plan to support and pivot the TT?

I haven't crossed that bridge yet, The likelyhood of spending time at shows it next to zero so needing to "operate" the layout to any significant degree is really minimal. one of the things that do need to be addressed is the issue of power to the turntable, I am thinking that a wiper type transfer would be sufficient something that would be minimal thickness. unless I go to radio control then of course power is not a concern. I am going to keep the turntable mechanism as simple as possible so it might end up being hand turned with a pole type device inserted into a casting that would be flush with the surface with a sliding tab to lock it in position.   Any thoughts?

Michael

lab-dad

On mine I used the "wiper"
Just a brass tab under the rail that touched the TT rails when in position.
Polarity was always right and no power unless correctly lined up.
Initially I used Lego gear-set to turn, now its manual.

Marty