• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Interesting building on Shorpy

Started by Ray Dunakin, January 01, 2023, 09:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I saw this unusual store/post office on Shorpy:

https://www.shorpy.com/node/26907?size=_original#caption

Looks like they wanted to add a second story but didn't want to remove the roof of the main structure, so they built it over the porch. But I wonder about access -- where did they put the stairs??

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

SandiaPaul

In about 1974 or so I was at a party in Soho NYC. I was dragged there by my older brother and was a shy kid and intimidated by all the older people. The party was at a loft of a photographer, a kind of famous one as it happens, Mary Ellen Mark. I picked up a book on a table of photos by Walker Evens and was hooked immediately and have been a fan ever since. So this photo was very familiar to me. I always wondered what use that little space was on the second level. After your post I did some digging and found this about the building:
http://www.marvhamm.com/my_family_page2.html
Paul

Barney

Inspiration at its Highest - Just love the Brickwork on the base and a nice bit of concrete holding up the fuel pump !
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Krusty

Walker Evans is God.
I've never got over reading American Photographs as an impressionable yoof. The 1971 MOMA book Walker Evans Photographs sits on the bookshelf alongside my computer....
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

WP Rayner

Quote from: Krusty on January 03, 2023, 12:57:02 AMWalker Evans is God.
I've never got over reading American Photographs as an impressionable yoof. The 1971 MOMA book Walker Evans Photographs sits on the bookshelf alongside my computer....
Agreed... absolutely. I worked at the International Museum of Photography in the late 70s and early 80s, and had the pleasure of examining his prints first-hand. His work had a profound impact on my approach to photography.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Stuart

A model of this would be a lovely addition to your In-ko-pah railroad!

nk

What a great photo. Thanks for posting Ray. And I am glad to see some Walker Evans fans here.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Mobilgas

Ray, I like the Coke sign and the Fry Gas Pump in the photo  :)
Craig