• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HO Sierrawest Loco Service Shop

Started by darrylhuffman, June 08, 2024, 02:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrylhuffman

I was looking at photos of Karl Allison's excellent build of the Sierrawest Loco Service Shop.  One of the finest models ever built.

So I purchased a copy from Brett Gallant and started work.

Two years ago I almost died and spent 6 weeks in the hospital in recovery.

I was paralyzed from the waist down just like I was when I had polio in 1948.

They let me out of the hospital when I convinced them I could walk from my recliner to the bathroom without assistance, using only a walker for support.

I use a walker at all times and slowly I am gaining strength.

I have always been a dedicated model builder who has never gone through the doldrums or slack periods.

But I was not able to build anything for a full year.

This model is the first I have built after a year in recovery.

In addition to the excellent castings which came in the kit, I added a lot that I had leftover from other kits.

I decided to leave off the roof so the interior is visible.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

darrylhuffman

More photos.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman

More photos
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Ray Dunakin

Excellent!
I'm glad you're feeling well enough to model again, and wish you continued progress.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Nobody would think you had paused modeling for a year. Please continue to recover and improve. Your excellent work should serve as inspiration for everyone. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Hi Darryl,

It is good to hear that you are on the road to recovery and back at your workbench building models again . It is rather a coincident that you have started with one of Brett's kit, namely the Loco and Service Shop , as I have recently bought one of those kits after a 15 year hiatus of modelling in HO scale . The reason for buying it is that I have decided to extend my 6'x2' HO/HOn3 show logging layout to give it a bit more operating possibilities.

I am familiar with Karl's version of the model , though I think it is a scratch built O Scale version . For me the best version is the one built by Ken Karns.

By the way , I still have the yellow T-shirt I wore at the St.Louis NG Convention in 2010. It no longer fits me, as my wife shrunk it in the wash !

Nick

shropshire lad

Two more views of Ken's Best in Show model .

TRAINS1941

Glad to hear you have recovered Darryl and have made it back to the bench.
Your work is up to your usual standards very well done.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Assuming he's still active, Ken Karns should be on our forum. Nick, your job is to drag him here and, if he resists, force him to stand in the corner. -- Russ

darrylhuffman

My old friend, Nick.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman

A few more photos.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com