• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Building a Willamette donkey

Started by Frederic Testard, March 02, 2010, 12:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

Thank you for the new images, Marc. The progress on this project may seem slow - and indeed it is- but in fact, I used some of my free hours, when my girl dances and my son plays the trumpet, to translate Steve Harris' 1 1/2" to the foot measurements into O scale dimensions. Now I have accurate dimensionnal data for a good number of parts of the AH&D donkey.
Frederic Testard

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Frederic,
Back from Alaska and thawed out. 
I found some pictures and text from my AH&D build (5 years ago).  I have a PDF file of it but can't see how to load it on this forum so will go with some pictures and text from another source.

I will start a thread in the "Gallery" forum so I don't clutter up your build thread.  It may take a few days to get it all posted.
I hope it will be of some help to you.
Rick

Frederic Testard

Thanks, Rick. The first images are already very informative - and also display a superb model.
Frederic Testard

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Frederic,
Here are some pictures I had been looking all through my files for.
This is the 1894 Lidgerwood double drum hoisting engine that is on display/in operation at Fort Humboldt in Eureka, California. 
This little engine spent most of it's working life on a barge in the bay as a pile driver power source.
and was donated to the logging display at Ft. Humboldt a number of years ago.

In the first picture we are getting it fired up and ready for the weekend festivities "Donkey Days" and in the second picture (wearing the green hat) is yours truly working as the Donkey Puncher.

Later
Rick

Philip Smith

thats up close and personal!

Philip

NORCALLOGGER

Here are a couple more pictures from "Donkey Days" last year that are only sort of relevent.  They are of the Little steam locomotive "Falk" with yours truly at the throttle.  Being relevant to donkeys by way of the patent holder, John Dolbeer, this locomotive was built by Marschutz and cantrell of San Francisco in 1884, and worked in the Redwood forests of Humboldt County it's entire career.  
Retired in 1927 it was put on public display, fired up again for a celebration in about 1939 then retired again.  Donated to Fort Humboldt/State of California it was rebuilt and refitted and put back in operation in 1986.  It is now fired and operated at least once a month all summer long during the steam up festivities at Fort Humboldt along with her more or less sister engine, "Bear Harbor #1", also built by Marschutz & Cantrell in 1892.

Neat little engines.
Later
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

Thanks for the additionnal pictures. They being somewhat personnal adds to the nice gift you make for us all.
I love this little "Falk" locomotive.
Frederic Testard

jacq01

Just ask Gordon ( or Russ) to put up some photo's of Falk.....:D ;D

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.