• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:16 scale Tea Pot

Started by Scratchman, August 13, 2009, 04:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilgas

Gordon,   Very nice job on the Tea Pot.....How about some tips on how you did the painting and weathering.  Craig

RoughboyModelworks

Fantastic work as usual Gordon... love the underbody detail and the finish on the top of the tank is particularly fine. I'm curious about the solid disk drivers... I see in the original photo they were solid disks, just curious as to whether the backs of the drivers were a flat plane or had some form of ribbing. They are certainly unusual and I wonder how they made the originals...

Paul

Scratchman

Thanks guys for your comments

Ray, I go with the 4-2-0.

Chuck, all my models are sitting on shelves in a small building in back of my house.  One good earthquake though and they'll all be on the floor.

Painting is very easy.  I use Floquil Engine Black out of a rattle can, over this I brush on powdered hard pastels with a big soft brush to highlight the detail. The water tank, stack, front wheels, drive wheels and the tender have had a coat or two of Testors Dullcote.  I still need to do this to the rest of the engine. I use a hard pastel stick  for the white trim on the wheels and the tender floor.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

finescalerr

Your paint and weathering techniques are simple but seem to work just fine, thanks. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: Scratchman on November 11, 2009, 11:06:54 PM

Painting is very easy.  I use Floquil Engine Black out of a rattle can, over this I brush on powdered hard pastels with a big soft brush to highlight the detail. The water tank, stack, front wheels, drive wheels and the tender have had a coat or two of Testors Dullcote.  I still need to do this to the rest of the engine. I use a hard pastel stick  for the white trim on the wheels and the tender floor.

Best example of the KISS approach I have ever heard!
A great inspiration, and a reminder that you dont have to make things so damned complicated all the time.

But I guess that if you had the chance to ask Leonardo da Vinci about his drawing techniques he would answer along the lines "naw, I just grab some red crayons and some paper and start droodeling..."
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Franck Tavernier

Nice model! Awesome as usual... ;)I like the paint job and finish, all in smoothness!

Franck

Frederic Testard

Your model is great, Gordon, and as usual its building was very well documented. I particularly like the pic of the upside down loco in a jig.
Frederic Testard

John McGuyer

Gordon,

Be careful with earthquakes. We had one not that long ago here in California and it busted up four of my locomotives that were sitting on shelves. My GS4 fell 6 feet and was broken in two. Incidentally, it is now back together and ran at the recent Southwestern large scale show.

John