• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Silly gauge?

Started by Hector Bell, April 16, 2007, 01:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector Bell

Hi all, as if I haven't got enough to do, I've been thinking about what can be done in different scales/gauges and one that came to mind is 1/32nd scale-10 1/4" gauge running on modified N gauge track.  We have a lot of private miniature railways in England and some impressive public ones to 10 1/4" gauge.  Some have some very big NG style locos on them.  One in Norfolk hasa Garrett 0-6-0 0-6-0, apparently the biggest in the world.  Imagine the options.  N gauge mechanisms (too small for mr to scratchbuild any more) under big bodies.  Has anyone seen this combo?  Or 1/24th sacle-10 14" gauge using TT track?  What on earth would we call it?  G1n10.25 or......Cheers, Hector

Hector Bell

You would, Rich, you would, but it might be amusing.  like I said, "as if I haven't got enough to do", but I was given a stretch of N-gauge track yesterday and am already chopping sleepers (ties) to see what can be done. Could be the mini-layouts new direction.  Cheers, Hector

Hector Bell

Hi all, in order to back up my nonsense about silly gauges I sat and wrote out 40 possible scale/gauge combos and only 4 were anywhere near right as modelled.  And that includes TT gauge which is rare these days.  Are we becoming so scared of making a (generally) simple mechanism that fits the right gauge?  Or of building track, I wonder?
Surely wheels can be given new axles.  How on Earth did such a situation come to pass?
Cheers, Hector

marc_reusser

Hector,

Because the majority of "Model Railroaders" no longer have the ability to build properly build high quality models and lay track....or they just dont want to....they want RTR that they can slap some spray can paint, Rustall, chalk and dullcoat, onto and call it a day. They are merely "toy train operators"....... which is fine, whatever works for the individual........but it is also killing the things that you are talking/thinking about.

marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hector Bell

Like I said to Rich privately, let us just plough our own furrow and let the rest follow like feckless seagulls.  I like what I do.  Cheers, Hector

Lawton Maner

Marc:

You are being to kind to call those Lemmings who call themselves "Model Railroaders" "Toy train operators".  A better name for them is Fruit Loopers because all they want to do is watch their latest purchases from China go in circles.

This is why I have come over to the Dark Side and will allow the masters to make me a better modeler.