• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

S-Scale Boom Truck

Started by Ken Hamilton, July 29, 2009, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

Here's another one from the archives.  My Canadian buddy Pete Moffet needed
an old work truck for one of his S-scale modules.  He sent this old "Railmaster"
pewter truck as a starting point....

The first step was to create some rust holes by grinding portions of the cab's
backside "almost through" with a Dremel and then poking holes with a knife blade. 
The two sides of the grill were also cut out and replaced with photo-etched screen....

Jumping ahead a few steps, here's the cab & chassis with a new wood deck....

Then came the scratchbuilt hoist & tripod, following no particular prototype....

Jumping ahead again, here's the bed with the hoist mounted in place....

....and with all the details....

FOOTNOTE: 
As well-packed as I thought it was for the trip to the Great White North,
this is how it looked when Pete got it...

Not to worry.  Craftsman that he is, Mr. Moffet put Humpty-Dumpty back
together again and the Boom Truck now sits on his S-scale module....

Moral Lesson#1:  Building something other than your scale of choice can be a fun diversion

Moral Lesson #2:  Pack stuff real good if you're mailing it.

For more of the complete building sequence, the in-progress photos are in this Fotki album:

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/model_how-to/truck/

This post ended up being pretty long.  Thanks for taking the time to look.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! White metal sure beats diecast for ability to aggressively age it. I tried battering and grinding a diecast truck and could barely do more than scratch the surface.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Ken,

As always...just really love seing your work......your approach to a subject/idea and implementation are something that I really enjoy.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Ken

Just like all your threads another interesting model.  Your work is right up there with the best of them.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

HOn3_rr

--KP--
Life is too short to build all the models I want to.

Scratchman

Ken, great boom truck, Here are two photos of one a bit smaller.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Ken,

That's a sweet little truck....I really like the way you did the boom. Hope you don't mind if I copy or heavily adapt the idea for one of my projects.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Belg

Gordon do you perhaps have a shot of this truck from the rear? Thanks Pat

Frederic Testard

Nice to discover this topic, Ken, since the truck is really inspiring, and after all, S is my first modelling scale... Hope you don't mind is Marc is not the only one to borrow ideas from your model...
Frederic Testard

Hauk

A really nice build!
Do anyone know of sources for S-scale pre WWll vehicles? I am looking for some vehicles to use in the backgruound ( a bit of forced perspective) on my sawmilll diorama. So a simple die-cast model would do.

Regards, HÃ¥vard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past