• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1 TO 1 WEATHERING AND THE MODEL

Started by NORCALLOGGER, November 14, 2009, 07:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,
Just noticed this today while working on something else and thought it might be of interest for some to see how the model (1:20 scale) holds up to the real world elements.

This building facade has been out about 3-4 years with no maintainence.  It was constructed of Cedar and Redwood, if I remember correctly, no guarantee there, the siding was sawn into 3/4 inch fence boards and the door and window added over.  It was painted and installed clean and fresh and the sun, wind, and rain have done the rest.

I could work with paint, dyes, and pigments for hours and not achive this finish.

Thanks for taking a look.
Rick Marty

finescalerr

Rick, I think you have discovered the Most Important Secret Weathering Trick of all time. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Looks great. I really like how the doors, and the platform weathered.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

WOW it looks real....'cause it is!
-Marty

RoughboyModelworks

That's great Rick. The platform and doors have wonderful tones and depth to them. No one can accuse you of unrealistic weathering, that's for sure...

Paul

Ray Dunakin

That's one thing about using real wood outdoors, it usually weathers fairly nicely. I've seen so many plastic models on outdoor layouts, where the builder simply trusts nature to do the weathering. The effect isn't realistic at all -- it just looks like a weathered toy.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World