• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Pet, a Crew loco

Started by michael mott, January 04, 2010, 09:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

This is a trial loco in 1/24th scale and change from some other stuff, I am preparing some CAD drawings from an 1866 engineering drawing and a lot of photographs that some generous people in England have been taking for me.

The model initially was just meant to be a quick little fun project but I got hooked after getting so far. I am doing the CAD drawings so that one could build a full size loco from them. needless to say they are taking a while.

here are a few shots of the model to date.

This is the present state of completion.

I have a lot more pictures of the progress but this is enough for now.

There is a thread at http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5857&start=0

Regards Michael

lab-dad

Just stunning!
Is it steam fired? (functional?)
from the sounds of it I would think so!
-Marty

marc_reusser

WOW. That's just beautiful.....more jewlery than model. I sure don't envy you those rivets.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

michael mott

Marty
The model is built over a Bachmann Percy chassis, one day I will get to a live steam one.

Marc thanks for the kind words, the rivets are easy with my rivet tool.

Russ, I am glad you think so.

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! Very nice work. Looks big though, for 1/24th scale.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

michael mott

Ray
It is a bit of a compromise as far as this loco model is concerned, the track is 16.5mm and I have been mixing 1 mm = 1 inch with 1/2 = 1 foot so a truly rubber scale model, I have been working from the scale drawing by AG Walker that is printed in the Crew book it shows 16.5 mm track guage and is drawn to a scale of 10.5mm or 27/64th to the foot as per the scale printed in the drawing.

I originally just wanted the model to look close. Now that I am deep into the CAD drawing when I build the new model it will be accurately scaled to suit 45mm guage track which works out to 30mm to the foot the 45mm track representing 18 inch gauge.

Michael

RoughboyModelworks

Nicely done Michael... good rivet work on the tank. What are your plans for fitting the tank wrapper to the end plates?

Paul

michael mott

Paul, the tank which is a coal bin and water tank is actually soldered to the end plates The bottom edge is a bit clumsy, not up to the standard of the Japanese brass imports of the late 60's and early 70's I'm afraid. In reality the tank was bolted to the end plates at each end. in my myopic look at the photos of the preserved loco in the Crew book I didn't notice that they were bolted, and embossed the rivets which are evident at the top of the model. the bace of the chimney still needs to be squared up as well.

When I build the larger one these sorts of mistakes will hopefully not occur.

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Ah, I see I was confused. For some reason I was assuming the track was 45mm gauge.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World