• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Microscope cover glass how it cut it??

Started by mobilgas, March 26, 2010, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilgas

Question Guy's,   bought some microscope glass today........ i was wondering how to cut it? and what to use....plain old glass cutter.   Craig

Frederic Testard

I have used a carbide scriber successfully. You scribe, you break along the line. Sometime, elsewhere... >:(
Frederic Testard

lab-dad

The "regular" one wont work.
Like Fredric said you need a carbide scriber.
I got one from Clover House, I am sure you should be able to locate one.
May be one of the fellows "over there" can point you to a supplier?

BTW;
It takes very little pressure to scribe the glass.
I thought it would be difficult but it is very easy.
-Marty

mobilgas

Marty & Frederic...  thanks for the info.... ;D ;D           Craig

marc_reusser

I use the diamond tipped scriber from Micro-Mark....I have even used it to gut circles out of that stuff for headlights and gauge covers.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

james_coldicott

Hi Guys,

for those in the UK you can get a TCT scriber for £1.60 from Toolstation- link below. I've struggled with cutting microscope cover slides for years but these work great.

Happy glazing!

James

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/Carpenters+Tools/TCT+Scriber+Glass+Cutter/d10/sd150/p46004

RoughboyModelworks

Craig:

The guys are right, a carbide or diamond tip scriber will work. Very little but consistent pressure is needed. In combination with a drafting circle template you can cut circles. That's how I cut headlight lenses, gauge faces & so on.

To hold the glass for cutting square or rectangular panes, I machined a scrap piece of 1/2" aluminum plate and squared all edges to each other. Then milled a recess in the top surface of the plate, square to the edges, large enough to hold the stock pieces of cover glass and just deep enough to allow the top surface of the glass to be flush with the top surface of the block, about .0065" for the stock I use. Then using the block in combination with a machinist's square it's a relatively simple matter to cut panes to size with the edges square to each other.

Paul

JohnP

At one job I had as a research technician the eclectic scientist had a tip when cutting some thin glass. Drip a bit of water in the scribe line (or isopropyl) and it will cleave even better. Give it a try, it works.
John Palecki

Chuck Doan

Work on a clean dark surface where tiny glass fragments will be easy to see. I always get some.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

mobilgas

Good tip's guy's.... ;D ;)   Thanks    Craig

Tom Neeson

And get yourself one of these little suction cup jobbers from Micro Mark too. Works great!

http://www.micromark.com/MODEL-PAL-VACUUM-PICKUP-TOOL,7851.html

Tom
No Scribed Siding!