• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Damage Free Large Scale Steam Locomotive Shipping - Supporting the Frame

Started by Jim Kottkamp, June 18, 2010, 04:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Kottkamp

Some readers will read this and think in a bit crazy to spend extra time to ship a locomotive, but, I have been on the receiving end of a number of 1:20.3 Scale steam locomotives that were damaged in shipping.  Berlyn Locomotives have the worst track record.  Of 4, T-19s and 2, K-36s received every one was damaged in some way.  All 6 locomotives had the whistle bent over, both K-36s had pilot and frame damage, 3 for the 4 T-19s had one side of the cab damaged, and 2 of the 4, T-19s had the clearance lights bent or broken with multiple other areas damaged.

I recently used the below technique to mail a T-19 to Scotland, damage free.  The locomotive had already suffered severe damage and I didn't want 4 months of repair work to be destroyed in shipping (see the repair article in the Summer 2010 Narrow Gauge Annual).  The photos tell most of the story, but I'll provide some explanation.

Begin with a 3/8 inch thick plywood sheet, 8 X 22 inches.  Attach ¾ X ¾ inch stiffeners to the underneath edges.   Cut 2 boards tall enough to keep the drive wheels suspended above the base board ( 1 X ¼ wide) and cut an "L" in the top.  The locomotive frame sits on the lower part of the "L" and the 1/16 inch-thick X ¼ inch high upper part fit between the drivers and the frame - with some trimming(see Photo 1).  Grooves need to be cut into the upper part of the "L" with a hobby knife to prevent damage to the brake rigging and to firmly seat the engine brake lever joint to prevent longitudinal movement (photo 2).  Once these are fitted to the locomotive, put glue on the bottom of the frame supports and pace the loco on the base.  Let this dry overnight.

Remove the pilot truck, and creat both a cylinder saddle frame support and a pilot support (photo 3).  Photo 4 shows a close-up of the cylinder saddle support and how it also helps to prevent longitudinal movement.

See next section 2 of 3...