• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

DURLESBACH - A German H0 layout

Started by DB_epoch_III, May 29, 2010, 12:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DB_epoch_III

Hello you qualified modelers here

In this post I wrote:
"I think I should do this in a special thread about this club layout DURLESBACH, that is the one you've seen".

So I'll do it now. I don't know if this H0 layout can satisfy your high quality standard.

FAQ: Do/did Durlesbach exist in the real?
Yes, there was a little station in the middle of the nowhere of "Oberschwaben" in a forest valley from 1850 until 1984 but no village with the same name had have existed any time.

DURLESBACH, the story of a layout
Part 1
Durlesbach was not planned as a layout. It was build in the middle of the 90th as diorama to be the background for some commercial photos. After the pictures were taken, DURLESBACH was going to be dusty on a cupboard. The dimension of the plank was 60x40 cm.
Part 2
An idea takes place in the beginning of the year 2000. We want to have a little layout for our beginners. There they should be get practice in modelling and all the works who need to create a layout.
So DURLESBACH was used as basic to start. The station plank gets depth and length and at the right hand side a loop was needed and so the valley was born.
Part 3
DURLESBACH becomes a exhibition layout in 2002. At our yearly open days in 2003 a new layout should be shown. Durlesbach village and the brook valley were detailed with kit- and scratch work buildings. The modelling level was not really high but the team had have learnt a lot of things to work with different materials and techniques. Now the layout grown up on the left hand side an the ideas splashed out like water out of a fountain.
Part 4
In 2004 the terminus station changed to a passing station. A turntable and a loco shed was a must have. Changes are shown on the plan below.

The village grown up immediately and the vineyard were build up. The castle ruin and the flora in the valley were finished in this time.

Then, it was February 2006, we get the announcement we should show this layout DURLESBACH at the Cologne Show in November of the same year.
To get a acceptable left end, the stone quarry was the next idea and not perfect but ready made in time.
Between 2006 and the 2008 Warley Show the detailing goes on and on.

The nowadays track plan

The nowadays layout plan

Some pics taken at the first exhibition 2006 and during the build up period.
Village and station

Church and cemetery scene

This for today, next pictures are following.

And for those who can't wait, here a video taken last year by a visitor at the Uetrecht exhibition. ;)
DURLESBACH at Eurospoor exhibition
Yours sincerely
Franz  (62)

(Germany - Leverkusen)

DaKra

Good stuff.  I love looking at German model railroads, scale standards are generally higher over there.   Big fan of Josef Brandl scenery, too, hope it catches on here!   

Dave   

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Thank you for posting the photos. Nice layout. -- Russ