• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New tech and "printing" model figures?

Started by gnichols, October 25, 2010, 05:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnichols

Stunning indeed... lucky boys working in 1:6th... they have SO many figures.  Perhaps I should move up from 1:8 and really get serious with the garden railway again?!?!?!  Their railway is pretty nice, too.  Gary

Mobilgas

Even though I'm not to crazy about military modeling.......This is over the top...couldnt believe the detail in those pictures....dont know what else to say.....that level of modeling and photography WOW      Craig H
Craig

RoughboyModelworks

Amazing photography... appears to me the whole thing was staged just for the photographs which are very effective. It's unfortunate there doesn't appear to be a text section explaining the project....

Paul

Junior

RoughboyModelworks

Junior

Your´e welcome! Not a lot of text but some behind the scenes pics.

Anders ;D

DaKra

I don't care for those figures at all, unless they've been heavily modified.  Physiques are wrong, big he-man barrel chests, no necks, stiff postures.  The collars of the uniforms never fit right, and no wool tunics or trousers for the Germans, only cotton.   :-\   Dragon's helmets are just awful, that pointy Stahlhelm looks like a wok with ears and the GI helmet isn't much better.

You have to wonder what the manufacturer was thinking when they designed the basic body type.   I guess their marketing people determined that men are more likely to collect dolls if they have unrealistic Charles Atlas bodies, as opposed to realistically skinny, underfed, slouchy WW2 Infantryman bodies.  Which is a bit disturbing.   :-X 

All that said, I've seen some really excellent work done with these.  Paolo Ventura comes to mind, I have one of his books, its very interesting, creepy-moody.   

http://www.paoloventura.com/work/war.html

The best work I've seen are basically complete rebuilds.  But out of the box, they are lame, no matter how elaborate the diorama.     

DaKra

Here's a mod, which I thought was a very well done caricature.  Think the modeler is in Japan, don't know the name. 

eTraxx

I've seen that mod before. Excellent. In fact .. it forced me down the toy isle at Wal-Mart to look for a suitable figure to mod
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

gnichols

Quote from: DaKra on October 27, 2010, 09:08:50 AM
I don't care for those figures at all, unless they've been heavily modified.  Physiques are wrong, big he-man barrel chests, no necks, stiff postures.  The collars of the uniforms never fit right, and no wool tunics or trousers for the Germans, only cotton.   :-\   Dragon's helmets are just awful, that pointy Stahlhelm looks like a wok with ears and the GI helmet isn't much better.

You have to wonder what the manufacturer was thinking when they designed the basic body type.   I guess their marketing people determined that men are more likely to collect dolls if they have unrealistic Charles Atlas bodies, as opposed to realistically skinny, underfed, slouchy WW2 Infantryman bodies.  Which is a bit disturbing.   :-X 

All that said, I've seen some really excellent work done with these.  Paolo Ventura comes to mind, I have one of his books, its very interesting, creepy-moody.   

http://www.paoloventura.com/work/war.html

The best work I've seen are basically complete rebuilds.  But out of the box, they are lame, no matter how elaborate the diorama.     

Well, their figures seem just fine to me.  Besides, given the number of them required and the scope of their sets, spending months to make one or two figures "perfect" doesn't seem to be possible, or necessary.  I'm sure they could do "better" for you if you asked them, with one figure on a small diorama.  The galleries at their main site are just wonderful to see, IMHO.  Just amazing.  Gary

MinerFortyNiner

Quote from: W C Greene on October 25, 2010, 06:41:52 PM
It does sound like "the future"..however, when the day comes that an "artist" is considered to be the guy with the best laser resin model maker, that will be the day I will go back to rebuilding MGs and TRs. The thing that's missing in all this high tech stuff is something called soul. I guess that I'm a Luddite, but I have fun.
                               Woodie

Heh...where were you in 1979 when I needed help figuring out my TR-4A???

Amazing modeling, the large scale challenges for such scenes are mind-boggling.  The overall effect is stunning, but I draw the line at burning my models for the camera!   :)
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."