• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Royal Caroline, partly scratchbuilt

Started by admnelson, December 30, 2010, 12:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admnelson

I had my arm twisted by Russ, again; he suggested I put up some pictures of the British Yacht Royal Caroline from 1749. I am using a kit to get the basic hull, and most everything bar some castings, are scratch built. I have done some scratch building on the few castings that I didn't think were good (from the kit) or that were not included, these were mostly on the stern. This is my first attempt at making these little castings, so in time, I can only hope, I will get better. Everything on deck is also scratched, and at this point, I am working on the head rails and cheeks at the bow. The cannon are also all scratched, except I purchased the actual barrel from Model Expo, as the kit ones were too large. To get the model accurate, I am using the Anatomy of the Ship Series on the Caroline. So here are some pictures:

admnelson

The stern carvings and decoration.

admnelson

This was the first carving I did. Ever!

admnelson

rails

admnelson

Again, everything is all scratchbuilt

admnelson

dck view forward

admnelson

close up

admnelson

long shot. Ignore the back ground.

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! What is the scale?

What's the purpose of that big wheel-like thing in the center of the deck?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Not bad for a railroad and structure modeler. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Good gravy, man!  The carving ... the overall crazy detail ...it's pure insanity ... and so very neatly done.  Also curious about the scale.  Very impressive.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

admnelson

Dallas and Ray, thanks, the scale is 1/47th.

That big wheel like thing in the center is called a Capstan. It is used for hauling heavy objects like an anchor. The "bars" are removable and are used by the sailors to turn the capstan. Here is a picture of a model of one. The rope around the bars is there to keep the bars from falling out. 

admnelson

Quote from: finescalerr on December 31, 2010, 01:39:00 AM
Not bad for a railroad and structure modeler. -- Russ

I'm a man of few talents.  ;D

Tony