• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Big Wheels

Started by NORCALLOGGER, August 13, 2010, 09:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

I all,
I wrote an article a couple years ago for TimberTimes magazine about the history and restoration of this set of big wheels.
As far as I know this is the only set of Redding Iron Works big wheels to exist let alone be operational.
They were built in the 1920's for use behind a tracked machine rather than horse teams and were used in the local area for logging.
Upon retirement in the 1930's they went on display as an attraction at a place known as BIG Wheels Resort; a combination cafe,bar, dancehall, gas station, and bait shop.  they were fully restored by the resorts present owner in 2008 and this July is the first time in close to 80 years that they have been used to move logs.

Enjoy the clip.
Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EpNRMjBWZA&feature=related

Craig_H

These Big Wheels must have been a sight to see :) working... in the woods in there day. Glad someone took the time and money to restore one and have a part of logging history for people to see.    Craig

Belg

Rick, do you have any pics of how logs were actually lifted into place? I have ask several places but haven't been able to fully understand how they are loaded. Pat

Philip Smith

Quote from: Belg on August 14, 2010, 01:41:31 PM
Rick, do you have any pics of how logs were actually lifted into place? I have ask several places but haven't been able to fully understand how they are loaded. Pat

check about half way down the page.

http://www.forestnet.com/timberwest/archives/Sept_Oct_03/high_wheel_logging.htm

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Pat,
How the logs were lifted/transported depended on the "wheels" wheather they were stiff tongue or slip tongue.

Trying to figure the easiest way to get an explanation to you.  I don't have enough photo storage capacity available right now to post the large pictures that go with the article.  To post the little pictures that host here is a waste of time as they are to small to actually see the workings.  
I think that leaves about two choices.  I can post the text only here and that should help or you can send me your email and I will email you the article as published, pictures and text.
Whatever you think.
Rick

NORCALLOGGER

Philip,
Thanks for posting that.  It is a fair explanation of slip tongue operation as far as it goes but says nothing about stiff tongue operation.  Yes our little ol' hometown iron works here was the west's leading producer of Big Wheels and developed many innovations, the "dodged" hub being one of the best.

I was fortunate enough to be able to interview/visit with Mr Webb back in the 1980's and see/copy his collection of memorabilia, Very nice guy.
Later
Rick

Belg

Rick, I sent you a pm with my email address. Thanks Pat

Belg

Quote from: Philip Smith on August 14, 2010, 07:50:16 PM
Quote from: Belg on August 14, 2010, 01:41:31 PM

check about half way down the page.

http://www.forestnet.com/timberwest/archives/Sept_Oct_03/high_wheel_logging.htm
Philip, this is one of the descriptions I have read but can't really correlate how it pertains to the components on the wheel as I can't find close up shots of these parts. Thanks for the link , Pat

NORCALLOGGER

Pat,
I emailed the file to you, let me know if you recieved it all right.

Philip,
You need to send me your email address in order for me to send you a copy.

Later
Rick