• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Paint question

Started by Ray Dunakin, October 15, 2010, 09:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I was wondering something... when spray-painting over a rust-colored base, for chipping and weathering purposes, how do you get good coverage with light colors? Most of the time I have to use a white primer under light colors.

Unfortunately I'm restricted to using aerosol spray paints, so maybe that's a factor. (Really limits color selection too.)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

Ray,

While I own three airbrushes I haven't used one for modeling purposes in at least 20 years.

Spray cans work great.

The secret for coverage is several light coats as opposed to one heavy coat.

I also spray a couple of coats of Testor's Dullcoat over the rust colors before being with the final color.

This thin layer of paint allows me to use more interesting methods of weathering.

As far as the selection goes, you do not have to stick with flat or satin finishes.

You can paint it any of the dozens and dozens of colors available from Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.

When finished, just give your model a protective coat of Dullcoat which also provides the flat finish.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

finescalerr

Nice to see you here, Darryl. -- Russ

lab-dad

Ray,
I'm wondering how you plan on chipping aerosol paint?

I always use solvent based for the rust base colors and acrylic for the top coat.
That way I can use alcohol to chip, peel, fade, distress the color coat.

An easy way to get into airbrushing is use the Michael's 40% off coupon to buy their airbrush and get a small harbor freight compressor. Your work is too good to hide under cheap/poor paint.
I have always used the cheap Michael's airbrushes and never heard any complaints..... ???.......

-Marty