• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WATER TENDER

Started by NORCALLOGGER, December 26, 2010, 06:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,
I had this water wagon kit I had picked up a couple years ago at the NNGC and it just seemed like a natural fit for a tender with the Marion Shovel.  After looking the kit over and seeing that some of the pieces/parts were not prototypical and a lot of detail was omitted I made the decision to go ahead with assembly rather than start from scratch.  I did add some detail and refine other kit parts, you know how it is, and came up with, what I hope, is a reasonable looking model. 

Anyway a couple of pictures

Thanks for taking a look
Rick

Richard Schmitt

Hi Rick,
Nice job on the water wagon. Yes, these kits lack a lot of detail for a foreground model on a layout. They were sold as background models. I've built a number of these wagon kits and have added detail to enchance the model's appearance. One of the added details that is lacking are the wheel hubs. I've attached a photo of my water wagon with the hubs added.
Take care and have a Happy New Year!
Richard

Ray Dunakin

They look good together.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

Richard,
Nice to hear from you.  Thanks for the input and the picture of your great wagon.  The hubs got right by me, will have to see what I can do to rectify that.

Thanks Ray.

Back to the shop.
Rick

Ken Hamilton

Those two pieces really do look good together, Rick.
The outdoor shots are beautiful.  Great piece(s) of work!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,
Well I was able to add the hubs at least on the outside of the wheels I didn't bother with the inside.  I know I'm probably kicked out of Anal Anonymous but that's the way it goes ;) :D

Anyway drilled and turned the hubs on the lathe but only used paint to represent the metal bands around them, I figured that since I was probably already kicked out one more little transgression wouldn't matter ;D

The sign was kind of an afterthought; printed on copy paper glued to brass shim stock  then sealed and weathered.  The nails were kind of fun to add.

Ken, thanks for your ever encouraging words.

Rick

finescalerr

Who on earth would find anything wrong with that model? Certainly not I. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Great outdoor shots.  And both models couldn't ask for anything more.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

JohnP

By gum that is an attractive pair. A very appropriate couple. Nice job. And it looks like you have a neat elevated outdoor railway. Any photos of that anywhere?

John
John Palecki

NORCALLOGGER

Quote from: JohnP on December 29, 2010, 12:44:52 PM
By gum that is an attractive pair. A very appropriate couple. Nice job. And it looks like you have a neat elevated outdoor railway. Any photos of that anywhere?

John

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

John,  take a look here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dgzq3IqvG0

Carlo

Rick, one question on the water tank.
That greenish tank color; is that to represent some prototype stain, paint or treatment?
To me, it's applied unevenly and detracts from the overall appearance of the wagon, which otherwise has nice color and weathering.
Just wondering...
Carlo

NORCALLOGGER

Carlo,
Yeah,  The green is supposed to look like old faded and bleached paint.  It was dilute paint applied as a wash, didn't really make  the impression I was trying for.  The wrapper on the tank is laser scribed plywood and to me plywood always comes out looking like plywood rather than lumber when under anything but the heaviest paint.

Thanks for the input.
Rick

granitechops

Ah Rick, now you spoilt it. ;D
Till you mentioned the scribed ply I hadnt noticed, I thought the marks running from plank to plank were scratches from overhanging tree branches down the woodland track.
Still I suppose the eye sees what it wants to see

I just love it when a photographer gets the background into the right perspective for a more realistic shot
good angle!!
Don in sunny Devon, England