• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Is interest waning these days?

Started by Hector Bell, October 22, 2010, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Dallas, you've been seriously disturbed for years. (I've been meaning to talk to you about those unresolved issues ....) -- ssuR

marc_reusser

Quote from: Malachi Constant on October 26, 2010, 07:25:17 PM

........, so I can be seriously disturbed.  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

....Umm.....Errr......ah.......no comment.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MinerFortyNiner

Dallas, just remember when the nice men in the blue van arrive, they have come to help.  You will find the asylum much better than they show in the movies.  I get to make crafts all day, but they still won't give me my #11 blades and I have to wear this funny shirt that makes my arms hurt.  Other than that, it's pretty much like things here...   :P
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

teejay99

Hello Everyone :

I'm new to this Forum and obviously new to the discussion .

From my experience , interest is NOT waning but the new people I see getting into the hobby in my area of South Western Ontario , are not young . The newly interested tend to be 40-50ish  but I , myself , don't mind that . There is sort of an instant rapport but I do find these people very afraid of making a mistake in modeling or model railroading ( or both ) . If they are not treated properly when they do join the hobby , and skills are not encouraged they can leave just as quickly .
Perhaps there are people on this forum who are intimidated by the high skill level of the select few ? They shouldn't be but it's easier said than done .

I consider myself a "middle of the pack " skilled modeler . The good news is I can help out the "newbies " to the hobby while , at the same time , look up to and question the Chuck Doan's , Marc Reusser's ,and  Marty Joneses of the hobby world , etc etc and NOT feel intimidated . I'm just a modeler needing some help . 

What makes me happy is that whenever I've approached various expert modelers at conventions or on line , they have all reached out to help .
Terry   
Wilson's Law: As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

RoughboyModelworks

Welcome to the forum Terry. You make some excellent points and I think you'll find that the more experienced modellers here are more than willing to share their insights and help with any questions you might have.

Out of curiosity, as an ex-pat Canadian from south-western Ontario, whereabouts are you from?

Paul

teejay99

Hi Paul ,

I'm from the Windsor area generally and the small town of Belle River specifically .

Terry
Wilson's Law: As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

RoughboyModelworks

Terry:

I grew up in Stratford. We had long-time family friends (father's best man and war buddy) who lived in Windsor. My father never tires of reminding me of the time when we were heading to Windsor for a visit when I was very young and evidently when I saw the sign Belle River, I asked if we were going to "Belly River."

Paul

78ths

Hi Terry
Welcome to the group.
cheers Ferd

Cambridge ON CA
Ferd Mels  Ontario Canada    eh!
SE Scale - all other scales pale by comparison.  7/8"=1'-0"
www.78ths.com

teejay99

Thanks , Paul and Ferd . ( would that be Fred ? )

" Belly River " ....I'll have to remember that one .  ::)

Terry