• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

side dump hopper

Started by GD, June 16, 2010, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

How disappointing. You suck us in with a superb start, then leave us frustrated with modellus interruptus. Go stand in the corner. -- ssuR

GD

Hello,
Marc, thank you for the drawings and the pictures, I think they will help me a lot. Marty J. thanks for the link, alas I am not able to open it, I will try to figure out why it won't work. Jacq, Marc already answered you, I am also an infrequent poster on beneluxspoor.net (www.beneluxspoor.net). If you are interested in some of my topics, type in the search box (zoeken in Dutch) Hüllendorf (my previous layout, trashed), or Zwammerdam (Dutch winterdiorama, already trashed), Small yard (my On30 with a temporary name which seems to remain forever) or stoffige dozen (dusty boxes with unfinnished projects). Of course they are all in Dutch, please don't break your tongue ;)
Below some pictures of small yard. Structures are made from cardboard, old cerealboxes and baby milkpowder boxes. Trees are from multistranded copperwire, twisted in shape and soldered together. Also a picture of a cardboard mockup of the hopper as I estimated it would be. It seems a bit too big with an estimated length of 15 feet.

Regards,

Gerard

Malachi Constant

Someone sent me this link, cuz it shows some little wood side-dump hoppers that are quite similar to the Mann's Creek cars I make in On30:

http://digarch.lib.mtu.edu/showbib.aspx?bib_id=642813#

Haven't done any further searching yet to find out more .... but looks like it might be worthwhile to do that.

Edit:  The railway is in Spitsbergen, Norway ... if someone knows the Norwegian word for "railway" that might help refine the search.  Meanwhile:
http://www.photographersdirect.com/buyers/stockphoto.asp?imageid=1964260
http://www.photographersdirect.com/buyers/stockphoto.asp?imageid=2273062

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Quote from: finescalerr on June 17, 2010, 12:25:58 PM
How disappointing. You suck us in with a superb start, then leave us frustrated with modellus interruptus. Go stand in the corner. -- ssuR

I reject your corner!...on the basis of unsound reasoning! ;D ;D

On second thought I may just use the corner to hide in shame.....it's really kind of tough/embarasssing to drag out 6 year old work, that wasn't done that well at the time, and certainly isn't up to the level I shooting for nowadays. ::) :-\

That's the problem with the web...it's like a big pool...once you pee in it, you can never get it all out again. ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JohnP

Dallas, you got a good sketch of the underside of the Mann's Creek Buck Jimmies?

Thanks for the drawings Marc as well.

John
John Palecki

Malachi Constant

John --

Sorry, but no ... the Mann's Creek book has a very simplistic set of drawings (side and end views only) and a handful of photos, so I interpolated things a bit ... the frame is a very basic pedestal design.  My version looks like this:

http://bouldervalleymodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_11&products_id=134

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

JohnP

I see, Dallas. Thanks. If I ever get an 0n30 railway going again I must get me a few of those cars.

John
John Palecki

GD

Hi all,
It's been a few days since my last post. I have been pondering how to tackle this project. First of all, what material to use. I think I have a go at cardboard for the body and wood for the underframe. The cardboard mock up I made doesn't look too bad and I like the material. Since the underframe has to hold the trucks with a screw (I suppose), wood seems better to me. Next I have to make a list with parts I need and find out if I can get them at my local shop. They do have quite a lot of American stuff, so I might be lucky. In the meantime I also want to make some progress on my other modelling and study this forum for tips and tricks, it's very helpfull.
@ Dallas, railroad is "jernbane" in Norwegian (according to an online dictionary).

See you,

Gerard

GD

Hello,
Been away on a holiday for two weeks, but picked op modelling again this week. I decided to have a go in styrene. I now have a body almost ready, although slightly inaccurate. I found out I misunderstood Marc's description of the car as far as weels are concerned. So now I am stuck with two trucks. New project :)? Marc, do I understand you correctly if I conclude that the axle bearing blocks are like an "inside frame", rather than the axles sticking out beyond the wheels and running in axleboxes that are hung in W-irons of some sort?

regards,

Gerard

GD

Hi everybody,
I posted some pictures here yesterday, but they have disappeared. So, next try. I also started work on 3 more hoppers, to make up a short train. I could not resist painting the model already. I used "wood" from model masters, but the car looks like it came from the shops just recently. I have to dull the paint down. Mayby I will try some "field drab" on top of the wood-colour.

Regards,

Gerard

GD

Sorry, wrong picture (hope you didn't mind the mess in my storageroom). I meant to post this one.

Gerard

GD

Hi everybody,
No progress  :(. I got stuck with the underframe. I succeeded in opening the catalog Marty added on page 1. As far as I can see, all cars by Hunt had axle blocks. If I follow the drawings, this will be a problem for the cars are 3 feet gauge, and On3 isn't. I think..... While writing this a possible solution popped up, if I can find a good set of wheels... OK, Iwon't bother you with this one. I am also not very saisfied with the colours on the painted parts. I need to tone down the wood colour to a more grey-ish colour. Modelling time is also scarce again, I have a boss to keep satisfied, and there is this other layout. So, it might be a while before I can give you an update.

Regards,

Gerard

JohnP

Parts such axle blocks, journals, pedestals- these are all good candidates for resin casting. Especially if modeled first in 3D CAD and then rapid prototyped via PAP. It is another thing on my many back burners- 1:13.7 car parts and 1:48 4-axle parts.

Do pray tell, what is a Hunt axle block? Any photos or drawings? Sounds British to me.

John
John Palecki

GD

John,
Hunt is the firm that (probably) made these hoppers. Earlier in this topic there is a post by Marty, and he included a pdf of a catalog by Hunt. I assume they produced their own axle bearing blocks for the rolling stock they produced. 3D CAD, resin casting etc. are way beyond my skills and possibilities. I have to scrtachbuild the whole stuff from styrene and/or other materials.

Gerard

GD

Hi everybody,
It's been a while since my last post. My side dump hopper project grinded to a halt shortly after my last post. I got distracted by work, kids and a h0 RTR inglenook (the progress on wich is just a little less slow). Last week I tried to work out my idea. I simply laminated sheet styrene, the outer layers a few mm longer than the inner. I used an old set of roco-wheels. I filed off the point of the axles, to get stub axles. I must admit that it works, but I am not satisfied yet. I think a massive block with the wheels protruding left and right somehow does not feel prototipical. I can't make out very well from the pictures in Marty's pdf how they should look. I also used kadee knuckle couplers, but I don't like the look off it. A link and pin probably looks better on a car as this one. I hope to post a picture in the near future.

Regards,

Gerard