• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Individual Bricks, Roof Tiles, Pving Stones etc. in Various Scales

Started by marc_reusser, December 22, 2010, 03:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

This Mfr. look like they have some very useful stuff (at least for me, and guys like Nick O), in various scales.

The site is in German, and does not list prices, but I have filled out the email request for a price list.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Stop writing in invisible ink, I like to see what is on offer.  ;) 8)
   I ordered some 1:35 plaster bricks from http://www.greatnorthroads.co.uk/ to see or they can be used in my next project.
   Any other source is very very welcome

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

eTraxx

Jacq. Right clicking the invisible image and telling it to 'open in new tab' .. got me to

http://www.juweela.de/weltengestalter.html

The price list Marc mentions is .. http://www.juweela.de/preise.html

I was curious about the 1:48 products. They have bricks .. (translated 'more or less')

QuoteThe bricks (colloquially brick) correspond to the kingdom format for brick - 1850-1950, most of the stones built in Germany was prepared in this format.
Dimensions: 0.53 x 0.26 x 0.13 cm

That converts to Imperial to 0.2087 x 0.1024 x .0512 in. .. full size that's 10 x 4.9 x 2.48 in.
Darn. That's a little oversize for standard American bricks.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mobilgas

Does anyone make 1/48 scale bricks in the US......that are to scale?
Craig

finescalerr

As an alternative to buying bricks overseas why not make them yourself -- to the exact size you need -- with relatively little effort?

In my current Modelers' Annual Jerry Kitts has an article on using commonly available modeling clay (from craft stores or even toy stores) for rock castings. The same material would provide bricks identical in texture to the products in the links.

Alternatively you could cut appropriate strips of styrene, wood, insulation foam, or card to length. The three latter materials already have the proper texture so, with a coat of paint, they should be all but indistinguishable from plaster or clay.

Does anyone recall the brick or cobblestone street Marc built from a cardboard box a plastic kit came in? It was outstanding. And how about the bricks he made from Strathmore more recently on my "Wall" thread?

I mention this because I have been thinking about messing with individual bricks and considering ways to create them.

Russ

MT Hopper

Quote from: Mobilgas on December 22, 2010, 09:56:26 AM
Does anyone make 1/48 scale bricks in the US......that are to scale?
You should check on Kancali.com. They make bricks and rubble for 1-35 and 1-48 scales. They also have cobblestone roads avaiable in several patterns, e.g. herringbone, radial,linear. They have also added partial buildings to their line mostly for the 1-35 scale armour crowd of which I was a decades long member. Now I'm doing a "reverse Reusser" and moved from armour to 1-35 scale railways.
Hope this helps it's the first time I've ever been able to offer anything to the excellent modellers on this site.

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent

Will
From the Heart of the Continent

shropshire lad

Of course , there is always www.hansasystemsusa.com , but I can't comment on the quality of their products as I haven't used them .

There are various companies that 1/35th scale bricks but most of them are meant to be used as rubble and not really for creating buildings , and therefore , to my mind , not up to much .

Nick

DaKra

Cool, I remember getting a sample set from Hansa many years ago when they were new to the market.  I'd almost forgotten about them and wasn't aware they are still in business.  Its a very interesting system, but I was in college at the time and could not afford to buy in a quantity necessary to do anything.    The parts are very precisely made and have a smooth finish, so they'd need some distressing and careful painting to look right.   As-is, they are a bit Lego-ish.  But great potential. 

Buying bags of ready made pieces can get expensive fast.  I think the optimal system for bricks and other masonry in large scale is a set of commercial rubber molds.   That way the mold maker has done the hard part for you, and you can make parts to your heart's content.  Plaster and dye is inexpensive and simple to use. 

Dave