• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Type 1 Decauville...........ish

Started by LLIAXTEP, January 16, 2011, 08:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLIAXTEP

Here's something i've been working on for the last few months. It started out as a bachmann Davenport, with everything else scratchbuilt of styrene, and small detail parts here and there from my bits box. The valve gear was too complicated to replicate, and the wheelbase was off, so to make things simpler I made the model into a trammer type, which in my opppinion worked well. It is painted with testors flat black and weathered with powders. The finish is too dirty for my liking, but I had a bit of an accident while sealing the initially weathered model with dullcoat, which was almost finished and started spitting large drops and fkd up the job, which then had to be touched up and turned out too grimy. Oh well.

BTW: If anyone knows a place to get etched or any kind for that matter decauville builder plates, It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Alex 

finescalerr

"It is painted with testors flat black and weathered with powders."

Are you saying you colored the superstructure with green powders and the chassis with red?

Russ

78ths

QuoteThe valve gear was too complicated to replicate, and the wheelbase was off, so to make things simpler I made the model into a trammer type

Or sure Alex take the easy route.  ;D ;D ;D Just kidding! (maybe)  ;D ;D  Clever solution to the problem and the loco looks great.

cheers Ferd

I keep seeing these 1/35n2 projects and it is hard to resist, yet I must resist the urge to build in another scale.
Ferd Mels  Ontario Canada    eh!
SE Scale - all other scales pale by comparison.  7/8"=1'-0"
www.78ths.com

davej

Quote from: LLIAXTEP on January 16, 2011, 08:05:30 PM

BTW: If anyone knows a place to get etched or any kind for that matter decauville builder plates, It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Custom plates available from www.narrowplanet.co.uk

d

marc_reusser

That's a very cool little loco!  I have been wanting to build an interpretation of one of thes efor a while now, and yours is a wonderful inspiration. How did you make the valve/steam handles in the cab?

BTW....you do not need to relegate it to a "trammer".....companies often offers a solid side panel option of "sand panels" for locos operating in areas like the Sudan, Egypt, etc.,....they were even used in some quarries.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

LLIAXTEP

Thanks for the input and the link.
I already got in touch with these guys and working out the details.
Russ, my mistake, the frame was painted red, not Testors black, and then weathered with AI and powders.
Marc, the interior handles, valves, etc is a collection of scratchbuilt, Grandt Porter Interior kit leftovers, and some Sn3 brass interior parts. (bad quality photo of "in process" interior is attached)

Alex

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mr Potato Head

Alex! Can you show us some more in process builder photos. What parts of the Davenport did you keep and what did you cut off? Do you have other rolling stock to go with this? Can you show us? Is it 1:35n20 or is it two foot? Very cool loco!
Thanks
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

EZnKY

Yes please - more progress photos!

I often enjoy them more than the final images.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

marc_reusser

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on January 19, 2011, 06:44:52 PM
Alex! Can you show us some more in process builder photos. What parts of the Davenport did you keep and what did you cut off? Do you have other rolling stock to go with this? Can you show us? Is it 1:35n20 or is it two foot? Very cool loco!
Thanks
Gil

Ummm,  Gil, ....isn't it the wrong scale for you?!  ;) ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

NORCALLOGGER

A queer looking little beastie, but I like it ;D
Love that finish.
Rick

LLIAXTEP

The only progress photos I have are the ones before painting. I havent taken any earlier shots unfortunately. But included are a few of the mentioned ones. THe roof isnt yet attached in these shots. The photos are sort of crappy, since they were shot without good light with an Iphone.

In terms of keeping/ cutting the Davenport: I basically removed the plastic superstructure and used the frame without any cutting. I only removed the steps, and sanded the pilots flat so I could add my own overlays. Thats about it

Alex

darrylhuffman

Roy Link's Industrial Railway Review had one of these creatures on the front cover.

It just screamed "'NARROW GAUGE".

Your model does a great job of capturing that same feeling.

Nice work.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.