• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Latest Heywood Rendering…

Started by W.P. Rayner, March 09, 2011, 08:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Recently added a 3D image rendering application to my software arsenal, Cinema 4D. It's primarily an animation application but has an excellent rendering system, much superior to the basic rendering capabilities of the 3D CAD app. From Cobalt I export an IGES file of the part which is then imported into C4D for rendering. However, it's incredibly complex with an unlimited number of variables, many of them unintelligible...  ;) It's complexity comes with a price. It's a CPU and memory hog, so there's a lot I'd like to do but can't at this point because of my limited CPU power. It also takes a considerable amount of patience and time waiting for it to complete a rendered image.

Paul

EZnKY

Great image Paul!

It's interesting how the reflection and the diffuse shadow are both rendered so nicely.  Are you using more than one light source in the model?

Did you generate the texture mapping?
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Eric... it's not quite there yet but it's getting close. Still a lot to learn. It's a three-light plus daylight source. I didn't create the texture, but heavily modified an existing one. One of the issues with the IGES file is the object doesn't import as a single solid but rather as a collection of surfaces - 220 some in the wheel alone. The texture mapping reacts quite differently on the IGES file as opposed to solid objects created in C4D, so it becomes a lot more complex than just applying textures to an object. The color, bump mapping, axis, mixtures, shadows, reflections, specular settings and just about everything else have to be tweaked to work properly.

Paul

artizen

I use Vue - I feel your pain.

Rendering times? How many days have you got?  :D
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

W.P. Rayner

Exactly Ian... I try to run the final renders overnight or while otherwise occupied to avoid the trap of sitting watching the computer grind out the image. Nothing more frustrating than making an adjustment somewhere, waiting 1 1/2 hours or whatever for the render, only to find out it didn't turn out as expected...  >:( Definitely a lengthy learning curve once you take the process beyond the basic CAD rendering engine.

Paul

marc_reusser

Umm...I can't see the image.  ???......says your domain registration where the pic is hosted has expired 03.04.11. :-\

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Frederic Testard

The same here. It's odd since others seem to have no problem to watch it...
Frederic Testard

W.P. Rayner

Yes, I'm trying to resolve the domain issue. It's not expired as far as I know, so not sure what's going on. The site and my emai seem to be up from time to time, but most often, they are down. In the interim, I'm posting images through the forum's uploader and using my backup email: wprayner@netptc.net. Hopefully I can resolve the domain issue by the weekend.

For now, here is the latest rusty-iron rendering of the wheel that I ran earlier this week. This one was a real challenge, much more sophisticated compositing than the previous and it took the computer just over 9 hours to generate the image! There are still some issues with the way the rendering software interprets the CAD file, but that's largely due to the limitations of my computer. Definitely not going to be doing too much of this level of rendering until I can upgrade my MAC. Poor thing was working up a sweat on this one! With all the drawing projects I'm working on, a faster computer is becoming essential. Fortunately, my wife has just returned to work after being unemployed for 2 1/2 years, so we're actually able to plan for the expense.

Paul

Frederic Testard

Paul, thanks for posting it.
And be sure that if I had to model something like this, it would take much more than 9 hours...
In any case, your mastering of this electronic tool is quite impressive.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Can't wait to compare the rendering to your treatment of the actual wheel. -- Russ

W.P. Rayner

Ok... here's the latest and the last one (well at least until I get the new computer  ;)). It's time to get back to drawing more parts, the orders are piling up. I finally solved the knotty problem of mapping textures onto IGES files imported from the CAD software and developed a "studio" environment with consistent lighting that doesn't create a lot of distracting shadows and odd reflections. I'm not going to say how long it took the computer to render this image...  :o

Paul

EZnKY

That looks great Paul!

Much better lighting - I also prefer working in a consistent environment so I can focus on the object at hand rather than reinventing the wheel each time.

Nice work.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

artizen

How long did the render take? You haven't posted for four days? Sounds about right for a quality render!!!!  ;D
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Mobilgas

Paul,    You say the orders are piling up, now that your done with the wheel......does this mean I'm next in line ;D
Craig

W.P. Rayner

Thanks guys...

Ed... yes, I like this lighting much better, less like stage lighting and I'll be able to just drop future parts into this same environment for rendering without having to redo lighting.

Ian... that's pretty close!

Craig... yes they are, but no worries, yours is next. Time to take a bit of a breather from the Heywood stuff.

Paul