• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

THE BOX FACTORY

Started by NORCALLOGGER, February 20, 2011, 06:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,
Back again with the newest installment in the steam sawmill series, this one is the box factory.
In this building (box factory) all the main power is supplied by steam froma central boiler.  There is however
a large diesel generator that provides electric power.  This generator was added several years ago and the building enclosed so the boxes could be built in the winter when other operations were slow or at a stand still.  The generator provides electricity for the lights and heaters as well as the branding machine, staplers, and other small tools like chop saws.  All the main saws and planers are steam powered as are the box nailing machines, which unfortunatly we don't get to see operated in this video.
Anyway take a look and enjoy.
Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mKSKZau9qs

Mobilgas

Rick,   Enjoyed the video clip ;)  Its nice to see they take pride in what they make and a US company still going strong after all these years and using steam on top of that...... ;D
Craig

Frederic Testard

This is really an interesting video, Rick, with a lot of information.
I'm dreaming of a mixed book + dvd for the serious scratchbuilder. Plans, pictures, hints on the book, videos showing how the thing works in reality on the dvd, it might cover several wooden related industries.
Frederic Testard

Chuck Doan

Pretty neat! I like the clever home made machinery.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

danpickard

Thanks for sharing those Rick.  They have been a very interesting and very nicely produced little series.  Got to love the ol' dog that can find peace even in a setting like that.  Plenty of ideas to take from those clips.

Cheers,
Dan

Philip Smith

ebouwsema

Very nice series of clips.  I like how you show detail, and the procedures but still make it very interesting to watch (less like an instructional video).  Please keep up the good work.

Eric

artizen

Can't believe it!!! People operating open machinery with long hair and loose clothing!!! Would never happen in our cotton-wool society here in Australia. They would even be forced to wear fluoro safety jackets!!! I have to give them credit for maintaining this historic piece of industrial art - even if it looks incredibly dangerous to work there.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

eTraxx

Ian .. did you notice that the dog's tail was 'bobbed'. Makes me wonder ... :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Philip Smith

Quote from: eTraxx on March 06, 2011, 05:07:08 PM
Ian .. did you notice that the dog's tail was 'bobbed'. Makes me wonder ... :)

That doggie's wondering to ;D