• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahn research for O&K and Deutz

Started by BKLN, April 29, 2011, 02:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Christian,

the narrowgauge stuff running on the "Dreumuhlentalbahn" came from several manufacturers and have afaik no real 1:1 masters, except for the wagons.

2 small steam loco's are brass kits from a japanese firm with a cannabalised commercial drive unit. Nice but not suitable for exhibition ccircumstances.
   I fitted small mini decoders ( Lenz and/or Kuehn) and the loco's run very well untill dirt on the track caused big problems.
   The DCC signal to the decoders became erratic due to too little weight and the dirt, resulting in burned out decoders, with smoke coming out from under the cabin roof instead of out of the stack.
   1 off 0-6-0 steam is a standard Roco narrowgauge loco where the standard motor is replaced with a Faulhaber 1018 unit. SB modellbau offers now a nice replacement.
   1 off 0-6-0 diesel from roco has the same standard drive as the steam loco, here also the motor was replaced.
    Both units were equipped with Kuehn mini decoders but suffered the same pick up problems due to the lack of weight and dirt.

Running narrow gauge H0 is possible but with far too high speeds. A possible solution is incorporating wagons in the electric current pick ups.

Rolling stock is all brass Panier wagons with modified bearings and metal wheel sets. Panier has/had a very nice assortiment narrowgauge material but the wheelset are terrible.

http://www.carocar.com/  go to Panier and Feldbahn.  
     They have also in other scales nice stuff. Expensive and hard to get.
     Especially in the larger scales they have some very nice feldbahn stuff.

i have experimented with log disconnects with a hollowed out out log, which was filled with lead shot to increase weight and more reliable current pick up. This test was stopped when the layout was sold. It showed good results where the loco´s were able to run at scale speed. Regular trackcleaning during shows was necessary evvery hour.

hope this helps.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

BKLN

Marc, Jaqc and all,
thank you very much for your help! So far I had no business in this kind of narrow gauge stuff, but it seems you guys might have infected me with some critter virus.  ;D

Jaqc,
your answers confirm my initial guess. I was looking at the Panier website and while I wouldn't mind spending some extra money to get a nice model, I am indeed worried about the actual running qualities. So if any of this ever turns into a model I am considering something static. I would also consider the drive from Busch's new Grubenbahn in H0f for scratchbuilding, but I am really not a "train running" guy (due to the lack of space)

What are your recommendations regarding wheelsets?

DaKra

Some of these little engines would be childsplay to draft, cut and assemble.    Like this one.   

jacq01

Christian,

QuoteWhat are your recommendations regarding wheelsets?

http://stores.ebay.nl/muellerradsatz1/H0e-Radsatze-/_i.html?_fsub=1601072016&_sid=60461026&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322  on ebay germany.

There are several firms that offer wheelsets,  check on ebay  for H0e or N radsätze/wheelsets

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

mad gerald

Christian,

I can offer a picture too, taken at the Feldbahnmuseum Hildesheim, where I met with Frithjof that day ...

... or a couple of photos of similar O&K locos taken at the Felbahnmuseum of the theme park Tolk Schau *click* (sorry, available in only german and danish language). The Feldbahnmuseum collection there consists only of O&K built exhibits, but can hardly being found (as located at a point most distant to all other attractions) und hardly mentioned on the WWW ... even on their own website ...  ::)

... more can be found in the corresponding thread on my website *click* ... or in the corresponding gallery Vorbilder Feldbahn (mainly at the end) *click* ...

... but one of my favourites is still this Diema LR 360 built 1927 (with no hood at the moment):

LeOn3

Christian,

Maybe this link might also be of help. It is in Dutch but if you click on the loco typs on the left side then you have some drawings. Not the best, but maybe useful
http://www.industriespoor.nl/Tekeningensmalmotor.htm
and this one for some pictures at de smalspoormuseum. click on the number and you get the picture O&K and others
http://www.smalspoormuseum.nl/Materieel/Motorlocs.html

@Marc, thanks for providing the drawings.

Leon

BKLN

Thanks a lot guys. This is really very nice stuff. You are planting the narrow gauge virus deeper and deeper into my system.