• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/87 scale wrecker

Started by chester, April 30, 2011, 05:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

This is one of the Jordan Products kits. The Ford Model AA with a scratch built bed and tow unit.

finescalerr

That turned out nice. -- Russ

DaKra

Agreed, very nice.  Seamless modification, and I like the lightly rusted weathering.  How did you do it? 

Dave

Malachi Constant

Chester --

Nice work, as usual!  I've been collecting photos of similar trucks for an eventual 1/35 build and just added your shots to the collection ... REALLY like the truck bed that you've built there.  The curved sides really compliment the overall style of the truck ... and that delicate little rail on the sides is a great touch. 

Ditto what Dave said on the weathering and another request for more info there ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

chester

Thanks all. I can't take credit for the bed design. I had a request from an editor at the Spanish model train magazine "Maquatren" to do a walk through of a build and he sent me the photo below to work from.
  I feel kind of funny giving weathering tips to this crowd but here goes. I put an acrylic base coat of dark brown on everything. Then when I air brush the finish green color, I barely mist the model, just enough to get the color on (color modulation??). The black fenders are hand brushed with dirty brush thinner with a bit of black mixed in and then blown with the air brush (no paint) while still wet. The rest is an acrylic wash of burnt umber, light dullcoat and then another wash of raw sienna. Finished it all up with a dusting of yellow ochre, some light gray in spots and a little touching here and there with black in a stump brush. The bright work on the rad, headlights and bumper are done with a soft graphite pencil.

Malachi Constant

Thanks for the proto photo -- again, really neat bed design for this type of truck ... and well modeled.  You've done a nice job of "scaling" the weathering techniques to the subject.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mobilgas

Chester,     Very nice job on the Tow Truck ;) I like the weathering and paint.  The picture of the old Tow Truck in the building is great.
Craig

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Junior

Excellent conversion again Chester! All those buildings featured on your blog, boat house, barn etc. are they part of something larger or are they small individual scenes ???? Would be interesting to see how they were created.

Anders ;D

lab-dad

Very KOOL!
Would be a great conversion for those O scale model "T's" that are coming...........hmmmmmmm.....
-Marty

Chuck Doan

One of my favorites of yours!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

PuckHog

Hello Chester,   Great job on this!!!!!!   Might be stealing some ideas ;D ;D

Thanks  for posting this,   

Randy

JohnP

Nice little model, good to see the smaller scales represented. The finish is nice and blended, important in 1:87.

So it seems you blow around tinted thinner with the airflow of the airbrush? What type of thinner/brush cleaner is that? What happens when the air hits it?

Thanks, John
John Palecki

chester

Thank you John (and all) I use just an odor free turpentine for cleaning my brushes. The thinner has quite a bit of color in it so when it is blown, a hint of the base color under shows through in certain areas. I would call it more thinned paint (and crud from the dirty brushes) than tinted thinner.

marc_reusser

Chester,

That is a sweet little build. I really like the colors, and the weathering.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works