• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HOn3 Logging Layout and stuff

Started by PuckHog, May 16, 2011, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuckHog

Hi Folks,  Some pic's of my HOn3 layout,   still a work in progress and I am constantly changing and hopefully improving things.

Some overall shots and a few of the tower skidder and some of a factory I was working on.....

I posted some of the tower skidder a couple of years ago, sorry if you seen them before...

That is all for now,  will post new progress as it happens.

Thanks for looking ,  Randy

Ray Dunakin

Very cool! The skidder is a real beauty. The factory looks good so far.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

Have no idea what a skidder is but I assume a large steam-powered crane thingie? Anyway, it looks pretty spectacular to me. The rest of the layout isn't too shabby either.

Keep posting the photos.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Stingray70

Very nice work, Randy. The skidder is really wonderful... :)
I'm really lookin forward to next update...

Ove, Norway
Ove Hetland

No problem is so big or so complicated that it can"t be run away from. ~ Charles Schulz.

Junior

Great layout Randy! Is that the P.S.Co skidder? Also the machinery in the factory did you scratchbuild some of those? I assume it´s also 1/87 scale. To me some look like they were kit-bashed. Most impressive!

Anders  ;D

lab-dad

Beautiful pictures! Keep them coming!
Lots of inspiration here!

Can you tell us more about the pigeon hole storage in this shot?

-Marty

BKLN

I really like the ground work around the skidder. I don't have have any knowledge of skidder technology, but that thing looks mighty impressive.

(and I too, would like to know a little more about that "pigeon hole storage shelf".)

PuckHog

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

Marty and Christian,  the storage bin is just stripwood,  cheating a little with no bottoms in the compartments in the small bins.  I just glue stuff in and you really can't tell...

Anders,  The skidder is something I built.  I used available castings where I could and scratched the rest.  Was inspired by a stunning model scratch built in brass by a Swiss gentleman named Albert Mauder?  Articule in the nggazette in '87 ?  Bill Roy from McKenize Iron & Steel had a set of plans for this that I was able to get ahold of. 
  I think the PSC model is a Lidgerwood skidder while this a Willamtte.

The machinary is a mix of Rio Grande stuff and SS LTD products with ,as you noted , some changes.

Thank you,  Randy

Randy

Junior

Randy, that info. makes your work even more impressive :o! I remember Mauder´s skidder and the incredible traveling case he made for it.

Anders  ;D

TRAINS1941

Randy

Nice work on the layout.  And the Skidder very impressive.  Keep us posted.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

At this point I finally should mention that I've seen 1:48 models at contests that were no finer and often less impressive than your HO creations. -- Russ

lab-dad

It would be nice to see this layout in a magazine someday......................

I wonder if Nick has Bob's number?.........

-Marty
Yes Unc, I am already there

k27rgs

Brilliant scenery work and the bridge is awesome.  Luv this sort of vertical stuff.  Look forward to more photos of the overall layout.
Lot of modelers producing finescale work in 1:87 scale.  Great to see.   Regards Mario Rapinett ( Australia )

finescalerr

... And that reminds me: My cache of layout articles is EMPTY. Maybe a good HOn3 layout would fill a big void in next year's NG Annual. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: lab-dad on May 20, 2011, 05:01:53 AM
It would be nice to see this layout in a magazine someday......................

I wonder if Nick has Bob's number?.........

-Marty
Yes Unc, I am already there

I've only got his mobile number but he doesn't like us select few giving it out willy-nilly  !

Nick