• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

housefront statues in Bruges - Belgium, ... help please

Started by Guy Milh(imeter), June 23, 2011, 01:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy Milh(imeter)

I need some help please,

I have to make a house from Bruges in Belgium (scale +-/ 1:40)

This house (as many houses in Bruges) has small statues in its housefronts of lions.

here is an example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18857561@N06/5654722153/in/set-72157626453217975

could someone pls help me with tips and trick how to make these.
Is it possible to make them with 3d- printers as chuck doan does?

Many Thanks

Guy

marc_reusser

Guy,

I am not aware of anyone that mekes this detail..at least in 1/48. If looking for an existig one you might be able to find a useable piece or one to use as a starting point from a supplier for items in the Doll-House hobby. They may not have it as a door surround, but maybe as a detail for a piece of furniture, door knocker, or some such item...and you could scavenge it from that. There might also be a fountain from one of the french companies/suppliers (name escapes me at the moment) that makes diorama parts for 1/35 military guys, that has that detail on it..and you could scavenge it from that.

The other and depending on your skill (and how daring you want to be) would be to sculp one from Milliput. Looking at it it is obviously ca stylized charicature...with more human features to the underlying face....so you might be able to start by slicing/cutting the face off a 1/35 or 1/48 figure, gluing to a proper sized styrene "stone" and then adding the rest of the features and detail with the Milliput. It seems doable...though might take a few attempts.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Not sure if these work...you will need to look in person or find a better image, but VLS/Custom Dioramics makes a 1/35 "village fountain that looks to have either a crazy man, or lion...and might be able to be used or adapted/modified

Italieri also makes a "village fountain"...cant quite tell what it is..but it could be a lion...again, maybe salvagable or useable as a starting point.

Plus Model also makes a "village fountain" that might have a useable/adaptable head

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here's one that is actually pretty decent , from "Reality In Scale"

Material: Resin    Serial Number: 35056       Price: £18

Here's a page with a review, descripten and numerous detail/closeup views of this item.
http://www.modelarmour.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1626:reality-in-scale-16th-century-renaissance-fountain&catid=37:kits&Itemid=60

Since there are 4 lion faces on this...plus some human ones.....it gives you plenty of chances to screw up ;) ;D.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

One more thought/suggestion....look jewlery and rings...you might be able to midify a piece like this, or use it directly...or make a mold and cast it in resin.

The above one is for sale for $15 US

http://www.etsy.com/listing/73941480/anne-klein-double-lion-head-stick-pin?utm_source=toolsforetsybuyersse&utm_medium=api&utm_campaign=api

...that's it for me...gotta get back to my real work....want to get to bed before 4:00am  :)

Marc

M-Works

Guy Milh(imeter)

Chuck Doan

I'll bet that's the lions share of info on these!  They could be 3D printed, but you would need a 3D model to start with.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

Guy

I can't really add anything else either but would suggest you read thro Doris's thread

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1195.msg21995#msg21995

As she has produced a stack of, lets just say "satisfactory" carvings  for her maritime modelling ............. you might pick up a few hints & tips
Gordon

DaKra

Billings Boats in Denmark makes cannon port lids in plastic, with lion heads on them.  Try browsing model ship fittings.   

Guy Milh(imeter)

Marc, I had a look at  your suggestions, ... man, .. you are really a human world-catalogue about everything that exists conc. modelling, is there something you don't know   :)

@ Chuck, shure you are right, ... and I'm new at this, I will look at some previous treads about 3d printing on the forum.
Is there someone who knows a firm like you use chuck but then a litlle closer to where I live ? (at least in Europe?). I searched on the internet without succes.

Thanks also for the other suggestions (sovereign of the seas), indead very nice explanations, ... and thanks to you to Dakra, I will have a look at the site

Man, ... I love this forum  ;D ;D ;D

Guy

eTraxx

All of the 3d printings I have had from Shapeways were printed in the Netherlands.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Junior

Guy Milh(imeter)

thanks Ed and Anders, ... the Netherlands,... that's next door :D, i can go and get my prints by foot, ... ;D

Guy Milh(imeter)

hello guys

I found the Shapeway site (thanks again Ed) and I will have a go at it. It seems difficult (3-d printing) but learning is the fun of living (I guess ;)).

Last guestion Ed, what drawing-programm do you use ? (ore what is the easiest to start of with?)

If that does'nt work, then there are de Marc-alternatives, ...

Guy