• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Heywood Coupler Renderings....

Started by W.P. Rayner, February 13, 2011, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Paul,

I marvel not only at your skill in using these programmes but at the abilities of the programmes themselves ................ unless you had told me I would be hard pushed not to believe that this coupling was real and existed in our 3d world.

I do wonder if the lettering is too high, I have no knowledge and only one photo to compare it with ..... it just sort of looks slightly separate rather than an integral part of the casting, although it might need to be this way for rapid prototyping and then could be sanded down/blended a bit afterwards? 
Gordon

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Gordon. Concerning the lettering, it's actually the lighting I've used that makes it look a little "proud" but I wanted all the details to be readily visible. The couplers are all drawn full-size and the lettering is only .200 " high. I've found it better to keep details sharp for the rapid prototyping process in order to get an accurate result. The top surfaces of the letters can then be "eroded" slightly on the printed parts with a fibreglass eraser to represent casting and wear irregularities.

Paul

michael mott

WOW Stunning!!! drawings Paul. As Gordon said they look real. That said, my only thought about them is regarding the lettering, The originals would most likely have been sand cast, and I think that the lettering would have been a slightly lower profile and with softer edges, I think that the letters are what give it away as not being real.

Michael

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Michael. The letters are actually the height they should be. Putting larger chamfers on them would perhaps improve their appearance in the rendering but would not reproduce properly when prototyped, especially in the smaller scales. The answer is to abrade the lettering following printing with a fibreglass eraser which readily represents the slight irregularities that appear in cast letters. It is far better to start with something that is crisp and soften it than it is to start with something that is soft and can't be sharpened.

Paul

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

michael mott

Paul, yes of course that makes imminent sense.

Michael

EZnKY

These get better and better with each new version!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

marc_reusser

Beautiful...the surface texture really look like cast iron.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works