• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

50 Chevy 2 ton by Bob Hitchcock AMT 1/25th scale

Started by lab-dad, August 17, 2011, 08:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

My buddy Bob sent me pics of a 2 ton Chevy truck he has been working on.
I was quite impressed (and have a sweet spot for green chevy trucks).
I asked if I could post the pics here.
I also picked up the same starting model...............

Here is the info Bob sent about the build;
Well the fenders and hood of the 2 ton trucks were larger then the 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks The fenders were slightly wider as well to accommodate for the larger wheels. I Lengthened the hood & fenders 3"  by using a donor cab & hood I should have widened the fenders but didn't, It would have only been an inch or so is all. The  Base primer was ruddy brown krylon, then lightly sprayed with floquil rail brown then sprayed with a can of krylon hunter green. After letting the Rattle can paint cure a few days I wet sanded the body with 1500 wet to the desired effects of faded paint . the surface rust is CA lightly spread over an area & sprinkled with baking soda.  A little help from some rust powders left over from the MRR days.  I brushed on dull coat over the chrome and a 000 brush with floquil rust for those fine rusty lines that trail down from head light rings and such. The chassis is a OPel Blitz, The components are all GM of the era The only thing I disliked was the two piece plastic tires... Very light on the tread detail although, old worn out shins never have a lot of tread anyway so I guess that just kinda worked in my favor!  I didn't weather the tires enough, and a scratch built front bumper (wider) to the 1:1 bumpers they actually had on them would be a plus for authenticity adding some old round 4" turn signals to the top of the front fenders would be a normal site on these old trucks, but I didn't perhaps some day! . The mud flaps are made from an old bicycle inner tube.  The door decals came from an old Revell 37 Chevrolet PU kit  and distressed with one of those micro mark wire distress pens.
-Marty

lab-dad

lab-dad

Last one I have;
-Mj

Mr Potato Head

What scale is this ? Marty
thanks
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

I fixed the title but in case you missed; 1/25th
-Mj

Chuck Doan

I like it. I just wish there were better truck wheels out there in 1/25th. The Model Haus has some, but their website is notoriously frugal with info.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

Mr Potato Head need to get his 100 eyes checked!
Chuck, 3-d um! and I'll take a gross when you do please
thanks
Gil
aka MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

chester

All except for the one rear in the tandem is really decent.

Andi Little

I LIKE it! ................ Great job on the details. I'm a big fan of "Light Commercial" and find myself drawn to any build of this type. Agree too with the frustrating lack of wheels choices in 1:24/5. Also the general lack of "Brit-European" types. The Emhar Bedford was a boon [I bought four without thinking about it] and the Blitz is always worth a look - although these are now quite scarce in the UK and fetch a premium on the 'bay;- aren't they supposed to be re-issuing those???

As mentioned "great job" and a subject I could happily view more of.

Cheers for now..............
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

I guess you guys are aware of some transgressions I missed. My impression was that it is a rather nice model. -- Russ

Ken Hamilton

Nice job, especially in lengthehing the fenders. 
I'm kinda partial to 49-54 Chevy trucks, so this is really fun to look at.
Believe it or not, one of the most difficult aspects of model car building is to
get all the tires to sit on the ground.  Tandems compound the issue.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

lab-dad

FWIW it is sitting on a round top mailbox. I'm sure on a flat surface it is fine.
-Mj

Design-HSB

With a dual wheels it's like in reality, when the air pressure are too high and the road is too uneven, just not all wheels contact the ground.
I think the frame and the wheels must be of the Revell Opel Blitz at 1:24, if I am right.
In any case, but a really successful model.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

CN6401

MJ,
I think what you've done hear is absolutely great.
Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions regarding the weathering.
I started out doing Radical Customs in 25th so my weathering was used for the railroad and military models.
What did you use for the rust and how did you apply it? How did you get that overall faded look?
I have a guy locally that makes resin dually wheels. The rims and tires are cast as one. I don't want to take over your thread so I'll post pics of my '55 Chevy Cameo with the wheels I'm talking about in another thread later. I'll see if my buddy is still making the wheels, if he is I'll send you the link.
Thanks
Ralph
Ralph Renzetti
Growing old is mandatory....Growing up is Optional