• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Motorcycle plumbing and wiring

Started by Carlo, August 06, 2011, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Hello, all -

I am currently building a 1" scale freelance inspection loco which will "use" a borrowed motorcycle engine for "power".
I have a plastic 1/12 scale 2 cylinder Harley Davidson model from which I'm stripping the engine and other parts for this purpose.

The trouble is that I know NOTHING about motorcycle engines. Is there a web site (or more)
which will give a simple generic "exploded view" type description? I want to just suggest some of the
pipes, tubes, and wiring associated with such an engine, and kinda make it look somewhat plausible.

I would also be interested in what control arms, levers, wires, cables might be necessary to control
such a motor (on/off, start, shift, speed, reverse) from a seat somewhere behind it.

I know this is a big question, but I could use some direction.
Carlo

Gordon Ferguson

Carlo,

might find the pics here useful I know little about bikes but sure that as Andi built it the right thing is connected to the right thing

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1066.msg19695#msg19695

Of course there is that wonderful metal bike creation which was posted very recently but I can't find at the moment
Gordon

W.P. Rayner

Carlo:

If you can send me or post a photo of the specific engine you're using, I can tell you how it works, what you need to include, how to wire it, what control cables and levers you need, add the proper fuel, lubrication lines and so on.

Paul

Carlo

Paul -
Here are the images I promised in the PM I sent you.
All help appreciated, and I'm looking to suggest rather than to be perfectly correct.
Thanks, Carlo

W.P. Rayner

Carlo:

That's a Harley Evo Big Twin engine which they produced from 1984 - 1999. Not sure what vintage inspection loco you're modelling, but I could give you a couple of tips on backdating it to suit an earlier vehicle.

Paul

finescalerr

Carlo, Paul is an authority on Harleys and other motorcycles. He has worked on them professionally from the ground up. You are in the best of hands. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works