• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Night on the In-ko-pah Railroad

Started by Ray Dunakin, September 19, 2011, 09:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Recently I experimented with a few pics of the RR at night. They're not quite perfect but still pretty interesting...

Enjoy!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Here's a hint about night shots, Ray: Unless you want only to see the light from, for example, a structure and the train's headlight, you probably also should use some kind of flood lighting. Obviously it must not overpower the other lights. And you can use a gel over the additional lighting, for example to create a bluish tint. The famous railroad photographer O. Winston Link used tons of flash bulbs when he shot his famous series of night shots.

Considering the light sources on your layout, something as benign as a relatively low power desk or table lamp might provide enough ambient light.

If you mess around with those ideas, please post the results.

Russ

Ray Dunakin

Thanks. This was kind of spur of the moment, and I just used available light from the full moon, structure lights, train lights, etc, hoping to get a natural effect. I can see how using some additional lighting would be an improvement, and that's something I'll try next time.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

@Ray .. what Russ said. Makes all the difference.

Here's a shot of my pump-house with just the lights from the building .. It's *ok* .. but it's like it was taken on a moonless, overcast night!

Same shot but with a simple nightlight held up a few feet up and back ..

I think a fill light would make all the difference in your photos
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"