• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rose Bowl Revisited...

Started by W.P. Rayner, October 24, 2011, 11:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Ok, it's not a model but I thought I'd share it anyway for the 3D and design crowd here. Several years ago I made a series of these Rose Bowls from 2021 Aluminum Alloy, Boxwood for the legs, Ebony for the leg caps and Copper for the feet and the assembly pins which connect the caps and the legs. I sold a couple privately, two through a design gallery in New York and one through an Aids Benefit auction at the National Building Museum in Washington, DC. Trickiest part was turning the bowl from the blocks of aluminum alloy because of the point. The bowl is just over 4 inches high. An important point in the design is the tension between the Bowl's point and the surface on which it sits. The point is only .010" above the surface. My original sketches and construction drawings are buried somewhere in our storage unit, so I recreated it from memory in Autodesk Inventor and rendered it in Keyshot 2.

Paul

jacq01

A very delicate, fine proportioned composition.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

W.P. Rayner

SandiaPaul

Nice! So who are you anyway, model builder designer, cad jockey, motorcyclist, are you my long lost twin?
Nice work, I gotta get to learning Keyshot...bought the darn thing and have never even played with it!

Paul
Paul

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Paul... as to who I am, it's a closely-guarded secret...  ;)

You really should try Keyshot. It's quite a simple program to use once you understand the basics. Keyshot 3 is due out shortly and I'm anxiously waiting for the release. They've added quite a few features including interactive texture mapping (a real plus), the ability to add specular and opacity maps to your materials, the ability to move individual parts in the uploaded model (presently you can only move the entire model within a scene), a lot of new materials (over 200) and better animation making it possible to animate exploded assembly renderings. Should be pretty cool...

Paul

Ray Dunakin

It's certainly worthy of a parade, but I don't see how anyone can play football inside it.    ;)
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World