• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:13.7 Plymouth TLC loco

Started by billmart, August 11, 2012, 09:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmart

I have been scratch building a Plymouth TLC for several years.  (It's just one of many long-term projects I have on the shelf.)  I'm finally to the painting phase.  My plan is to have a light gray frame with dark green body.  I want the loco to look as though it has been used, but well cared for -- dusty and dirty, with some ares of wear, but not a rusty hulk.  I hereby solicit your advice for how to proceed with weathering the frame.  Please be aware that I have little in the way of artistic talent, and I don't want this one project to take 50 hours to paint and weather.  It's destined for use on my outdoor railway.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Bill Martinsen

darrylhuffman

Wow!!

Looks great to me.

Looking forward to the finished loco.

I can't think of why it would take 50 hours to paint and weather.

Weathering is my favorite part of anything to do with locomotives.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

lab-dad

That thing is dead sexy!!!!!!!
I love 4 wheel Plymouths.
Would love to see more of the in progress.
There are so many ways to go with the weathering.
Maybe just some chips with vallejo german camo brown.
And some fading with artists oils.
Followed with some powders, oil & rst stains. .....
Marty

billmart

Darryl and Martin -  Thanks for the kind words.  I haven't taken many in progress photos, but this one will show you what the TLC looks like.

Martin - I've never tried to add chipping effects with a paint brush.  Perhaps it's time I learned how to do that.  Any suggestions on placement of said paint spots?

Darryl - Will you be attending the NNGC in the Seattle area in about a month?

Bill M.

Chuck Doan

That is georgeous! Beautiful construction.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

billmart

Thanks, Chuck.  Coming from you, that means a lot to me.

In general, I do OK with making and assembling parts to produce a nice model, but I have a lot to learn when it comes to weathering. 

Bill Martinsen

Chuck Doan

I am jealous of being able to use real nuts and bolts for a model. They look just right.

I wouldn't know where to start painting a big project like this. I seem to recall one of the Annuals had an article on two similar prototype locos. They were painted yellow and were not heavily weathered. Might be a good reference point.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

QuoteMartin - I've never tried to add chipping effects with a paint brush.  Perhaps it's time I learned how to do that.  Any suggestions on placement of said paint spots?

First off look at real locos and see where the chips happen.
Likely are places with constant or normal contact.
Scratches can also be done with he Vallejo.
I was also thinking there should be some shiny wear spots where the operator would grab on and step.
These can be done with a graphite pencil to give the dark steel color.
I have recently discovered the MIG weathering pigment dark steel and really like it.

At least by using acrylic if you dont like it you can remove it!

-Marty

Barney

This is perfection of the highest - after seeing this little plymouth chassis my 1/16 scale Narrow gauge chassis hit the bin big time - thinking of tacking up stamp collecting
lovely workmanship -just keep it coming .
Barney
busy collecting new nuts / bolts and rivets and a new sheet of plastic card for a restart !

billmart

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen.  I've decided not to begin the weathering process until I have the second issue of The Weathering Magazine in my hands.  It's going to cover Dust, Dirt, and Earth.  I really enjoyed the first issue on Rust.

In the meantime, I'm going to try some small weathering experiments.  I've got to start somewhere!

Bill Martinsen