• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress...

Started by W.P. Rayner, May 30, 2011, 11:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Yes, and I now can appreciate the exquisite beauty of the renderings. -- Russ

W.P. Rayner

A little more work on this project... I finally finished the fuel level indicators which, for such a small part, were actually fairly difficult to draw. I had drawn them originally in Cobalt, but there was some sort of technical/coding issue with that file and neither Inventor nor Solidworks would interpret the original drawing. So I had to draw them from scratch again. At any rate, here are a couple of renderings showing the fuel level indicators in place.

Paul

artizen

If this gets built in gold and brushed titanium as depicted in the renderings, it would be a collectible! Whatever, it is a wonderful work of art and I hope to see this and all your other renderings come to life as finished items ... please!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Ian... I think I'll pass on the gold and titanium though it could be the latest decor accessory from Tiffany... I'll reserve those materials just for these renderings. Epoxy resin, brass tubing and styrene will be a touch more affordable.

Here are the latest two renderings with today's progress. Added the return tube within the fuel reservoir which completes the components within the reservoir and modelled the lower portion of the top to the fuel reservoir. Light fixture and Mobil globe will complete the top.

Paul

finescalerr

pwranta193

Paul,

I'm completely impressed with your work on this... your work on the actual design is cool enough, but your bump up on the finish and presentation is always impressive.  The rare metals finished version looks less like Tiffany's to me than the fuel pump outside of the dining hall at Valhalla (see recent Thor movie). As I've said before, I wish I'd stumbled into the world of CAD a decade or so back, as it feels like one of those things that I'd always be behind the power curve in trying to learn  ::)

An operational question... this being another of those functional items that I had little or no knowledge of before wandering into Russ' canyons of the obscure and arcane - what is the reason behind having multiple drain (outflow?) tubes within the tank?

Again - great finish...

Pablo sends
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Chuck Doan

It allowed the attendant to select the exact amount of gas to dispense instead of using the subjective gallon markers.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Paul. Chuck is absolutely correct. The capacity of this pump was ten gallons. Fuel could be dispensed in accurate or "Correct Measure" one-gallon increments from one to ten depending on the needs of the purchaser. Each tube represents one of the gallon increments, that's why there are so many tubes. Once the reservoir was filled, it was drained down to the desired level. I believe two of the reasons why the pumps were so short-lived were the relative complexity of the mechanism and their limited capacity.

Paul

pwranta193

Interesting... odd, but I guess with nascent tech, you'll have the ones that don't survive :)  I can see the designer thinking "who is ever going to need more than ten gallons".

Thank you gents for the explanation.
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"