• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

AN EASY WAY TO MAKE STRIPWOOD REPLICATES

Started by ho henry, October 27, 2011, 10:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ho henry

Items that you need:

A perfectly flat surface (I use plate glass) or you can use a piece of MDF BOARD.

Two flat 12" rulers, (You can purchase two at LOWES) I preferred the one with holes in it, the second one must be thick about 1/16" to 1/8". No cork bottom or anything that would raise the ruler from the table's surface.

A 90 degree edge (I utilised one of those cheap cardboard fliers (junk mail) that comes in the mail.

A straight edge blade or a number 11 EXACTO knife.

A role of wide packing scotch tape, again you can purchase this type of tape from LOWES or HOME DEPOT

The set up:

Place the first ruler horizontally near the top of the surface your working with.

Leave about two to three inches for the excess tape to cover the ruler down.

In order to obtain a perfectly 90 degree vertical edge, place the edge of the ruler directly up against the cardboard flier, then tape the ruler down. Make sure the flier is taped sufficiently so it does not raise when the item your cutting butts up against it.

Now with the second thick ruler place it's edge directly up against the bottom edge of the first taped ruler again against the edge of the flier and proceed to slide it backwords (or to the left) until it's edge reaches the mark or length you need to cut at.

Once in position using sufficient tape, tape the second ruler in place covering both rulers.

You will have now created an upside-down "U" space between the two rulers.

Your concern with both rulers and the cardboards edge is now finished.

You should now have two rulers, the top one whose right edge is directly up against the left edge of the cardboard square.
the second thick one whose edge is shifted to the left leaving a space between the top ruler and the cardboard. All three items taped down onto the MDF board or glass surface.

Remember that you will be cutting to the left of the marked length you need should you cut directly on the line or mark you require your liable to shortchange yourself.

Now with the straight edge blade or EXACTO KNIFE
flush up against the edge of the thick right end of the ruler proceed to either apply pressure in a downward stroke or cut the wood utilising a sawing motion.

Hold the wooden strip that your cutting securly up against the bottom of the second rulers edge.

You can easily slide the strip wood to the right knowing and feeling that when it butts up against the cardboards edge it will be a perfect 90 degree edge then cut.

Repeat the procedure as many times as necessary obtaining exact length duplicates with a 90 degree edge as needed.

Enjoy

HO Henry

ho henry

??? Seems like some others on another forum can't seem to understand Why the use of this tool? ::)

To begin with, I'm personally stunned for not thinking about it's creation much sooner, >:(
ing
1. It would have saved me the purchase price of the CHOPPER 2 and thats just for starters.  :o
2. Thier are a lot of newcomers to this field that WILL PROFIT BY NOT SPENDING THE MONEY ;D, simply because they already have the necessary material on hand to make this rather inexpensive gadget when needed....

Henry

Fred H.

Henry. This CRIES OUT for photos. (Please?)