• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bachman Cars

Started by DaKra, December 10, 2011, 11:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKra

I seem to recall seeing these "old tyme"  ::) RR passenger cars on a regular basis.  Also similar or same by Tyco, which is about one notch above those plastic party favors they sell at teh supermarket.     Cheap, plentiful, and dreadful.   

What are they based on? And are the general proportions close to scale?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Bachmann-HO-Scale-Union-Pacific-RR-Old-Tyme-Western-Style-Passenger-Train-Cars-/290643476049?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item43abb37e51

Dave

Seattle Dave

Not really.  Too short and not well detailed at all.  Basically one step above toy, and over-priced as listed.  What is it you are looking for?
Dave VanderWal

DaKra

Looking for something inexpensive, commonly available, with decent wheel trucks, maybe some basic underbody details and a good roof.   

JohnP

Roundhouse (owned by Athearn) used to make shorty old-time passenger cars plus a few normal size in HO. I can't tell what is currently offered by Athearn, but here is a link to a photo of a couple:
http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1905/passenger_couplers/
They are not well detailed but are presentable I guess.
John
John Palecki

finescalerr

The HO standard gauge Roundhouse short cars were loose approximations of Sierra Railway prototypes. I think the 80 foot cars (if they really are 80 feet) are supposedly based on Harriman prototypes. The On30 Bachmann passenger cars are based on Jackson & Sharpe cars. They may be short for C&S but the SP Narrow Gauge had some reasonably close versions and Mal Ferrell modified his Bachmann cars to match them. As Dave points out, the cars you asked about are junk. -- Russ