• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

How to organize scraps?

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 02, 2013, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

As some of you may recall, my "work area" is a disaster. One of the biggest contributors to the mess is bits and pieces of styrene strips, rods, tubes, angles, etc. Most are too big to waste, but too small to return to their original packages. I'm wondering if there is a better way to store this stuff, other than just dumping it all into a box?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Ray,

Afraid I go for the "box" ........... although its semi-organised.

I have boxes, from art shop used for storing brushes, one for rod, one for tube and one for angles,etc.
Each box has 3 long compartments so I can then subdivide slightly.

However I can guarantee that when you look for the piece you want, what you will find will always be a fraction too short, slightly the wrong diameter, etc, etc  ;D
Gordon

marc_reusser

I too use Gordon's method...and suffer it's pitfalls and vagries.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

fspg2

I use web plates in different lengths to organise my remaining odds from brass, nickel silver, styrene,... I got them as remnants from a plastic suppliers for little money.

http://www.google.de/search?q=stegplatten&hl=de&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=c3aDUYCOMIev7Aaq6oHgDw&sqi=2&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1887&bih=1069

Frithjof
Frithjof

lab-dad

For my styrene i use one of those plastic desk drawer organizers.
That said, it ain't organized.
I also have tall skinny jars for rod, wood etc,.
Mj

Old Goat

I place styrene scraps back in the Evergreen Scale Models bags.  When I need a less than full length piece, I hold the bottom of the bag and place the open end on the table and slowly pull the bag up until the desired pieces slide out.

Matt