• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Machinable material

Started by eTraxx, June 25, 2012, 12:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bexley

Heh. It wouldn't be so bad if the stuff wasn't so freakin' useful- if it were cheap, I doubt I would ever complete a project without it.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

eTraxx

I'm working on a small pier for my layout. In fact, that was what I made the wooden jig for at the start of this thread.

Anyhoo .. I have got to the point that I need to add NBW to represent where the Packing-Blocks that act as spacers between the stringers are bolted together. They also  secure the butt-joints where two stringers join over a cap. I remembered I had some Sintra PVC Foam Board and thought to try that. OH BOY does this stuff mill nicely. I had purchased some to try something totally different. There is a modeler in Europe (France I think) that uses this PVC Foam Board under another name and creates bricks etc. for his large scale buildings.

Here, I'm using the pin to mark the stringer where I will simulate a joint between two stringers. The other holes are for transferring the locations to drill for the NBW.

.. and here's a close-up. For scale, that slot is 1/4-in. I cut that with one pass in my Proxxon Mini-Mill using a Dremel 1/4-in. Router Bit. This stuff cuts sweet!! This Sintra PVC Foam board is 1/8-in thick. Think it could be useful for other things since it tools so nicely
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"