• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HO scale belt driven machines

Started by Hurley53, July 04, 2012, 05:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurley53

Not only looking for suggestions for belt driven machines but more importantly looking for suggestions for what to use for the belt material itself.  Thanks for any help   Scott Hurley  (first post)     
scott

lab-dad

I think Brett at Sierra West uses a product called Tyvek?
Best to call him and ask.
He also sells a lot of HO machines.
-Marty

mabloodhound

Tyvek is the house wrap material you see on new homes.   Typar is another brand.   Probably would work OK for HO.   
Many use masking tape but that may be too thick for HO scale.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

TRAINS1941

Scott

I believe Marty is right.  It works really great easy to put on and easy to paint gives a brown leather look.  Call Brett he'll help you along.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

David Emery

Chuck Doan told me he uses "mylar."  I got a couple of sheets of drafting film from my brother-the-architect. 

dave

Junior

Scott,

The material Brett is using is a waterproof very strong envelope from Tyvek/Dupont and can be found in any stationary shop. Not only is it strong it also has a nice texture just like leather as mentinoned by Jerry. You can see the material in the attached pic. from my machine shop in 1/87 scale. All machinery is from Rio Grande Models.

Anders

Pic.1 [img][/img]

Ray Dunakin

You can sometimes get Tyvek envelopes for free, from mailing centers. They have them for priority mail, FedEx, etc.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Krusty

When I subscribed to the Gazette it used to come in Tyvek envelopes. I assume that's no longer the case?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

TRAINS1941

Anders

Not to change the subject but that is one beautiful machine shop.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

The Gazette comes in clear plastic covers now, at least here in the States. I don't know if they package it differently for overseas shipping.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

I use brown paper bags for belts.

I glue one end under the pulley and wrap the strip of paper over the top pulley and then under the lower one again.

I use ACC and then coat the belt with ACC all over.

Be sure to make the belt tight as nothing looks worse that a loose belt.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

David Emery

A lot of the machine shops I've seen (including the one I saw running in Denton NC) had belts that were not quite tight.  There was some noticeable sag in the belts, even when they were running. 

dave