• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/48th scale logging arch iron wheels.

Started by 5thwheel, August 30, 2012, 08:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

These are a couple of wheels i built for a 1/48 scale logging arch that I never finished. The scale out near 10 feet in diameter. The hubs and rims are cast from white metal, the spokes are jewelry fitting wires.I had planned on casting them up to sell as kits (the wheels) But didn't feel I had a large enough market to produce them. I had planned on building limited run of arches. One of those some day to do things.

Click on picture to enlarge.

Assembly jig. 

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

marc_reusser

Those re beautifully done.

If you don't want to build an arch, I think with some tread modification, they could be used to build RRLCo's wild logging tractor p ::)rototype.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

5thwheel

Thanks Marc.  I am not sure of the tractor you are talking about. The arch I measured is at the Collier State park in Chiloquin, Oregon. It was first set up by Cap Collier.  I talked to him many years ago. He told me that some times the metal wheels were taken off the large steam tractors when they were scrapped out and used on high wheels and possibly the steel arches.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

marc_reusser

The tractor I was referring to is a one of a kind piece (as far as I know), I have not seen it in any books or publications. I have about a dozen photos of it in testing/trials out in the woods at RRLCo. I believe I posted one or two here somewhere years ago, but for the world of me cant recall where. Unfortunately my looging pics and info are filed away, and not readily accessible at the moment, otherwise I would re-post.

It looked sort of like a combination Gerlinger and logging arches....but on steroids and pissed off. ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ken Hamilton

Wow....those are nice. 
There's nothing more delicate looking than thin spokes. Great job.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

5thwheel

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on September 12, 2012, 09:24:54 AM
Wow....those are nice. 
There's nothing more delicate looking than thin spokes. Great job.

Thanks Ken.  The spokes from brass jewelry findings.  They are about 1 1/2" long wires with a head on them like a pin.  I found them by the bag full at a local craft store.  I can see (in my mind's eye) these wheels made from styrene.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.