• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What do you use ?

Started by Barney, August 31, 2012, 08:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

After 25 years of use My trusty old AZTEC airbrush (the second one) is now on its last legs and I am looking for a change - the Aztec has been good but due to its plastic engineering it does tend to wear and anything in the handle can not be replaced - some time ago I did have a Badger airbrush but the cost of heads / needles and O rings was quite expensive at about £25 a shot hence the Aztec hit the scene and replacement heads costing around £6:50 made it a lot easier on the pocket.But time moves on and I am now looking at alternative makes with "metal engineering" So any Ideas or thoughts on what you use and what you would consider a good buy for easy use and reasonable replacement parts - cost wise !
Barney

mabloodhound

Barney,
I am using a Grex that I bought last year.   I had considered the Iwata but found the Grex cheaper.   
Due to a hand tremor (shake) I needed something with a trigger control and couldn't use the top button DA type.
I am really happy with this and it is all metal.   I sold my hardly used Aztek and all the tips on e-bay.
Here's a link to the Grex: http://www.amazon.com/Grex-Airbrushes-Airbrush-Double-Internal/dp/B002YKN5X8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1346427829&sr=8-6&keywords=grex+airbrush and I paid $159 for mine.
I also use Grex pnematic tools and their customer service is terrific....one phone call and parts are on the way.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

lab-dad

I use the top of the line Cresendo 175 ;)
I get it at Michaeld using the 40% off coupon.
I never seem to get them clean enough so didnt expect it to last.
That said, the one I use for solvent based is six years old.
The acrylic one is four years old.
You have seen my work done with it so you can judge for youself.
I think it works well considering I am not a good painter.
Marty

shropshire lad

Barney ,

Not much point buying one from America .

I use an Iwata Revolution HP- TR2 , which has a trigger not a button to operate it .

Try The Airbrush Company   http://www.airbrushes.co.uk/

You have seen my work , haven't you ? Well , you can't blame it on my airbrush !

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

The Airbrush company is where I would have sent you as well, normally has some pretty good deals and I have always found their service first class.

I think the Aztec is a single action so if I were you I would have a look at the new Iwata M series, I have been tempted as the single action would do for 90% of the jobs I do ........... Not that I get many models to the painted stage ;D

Like Nick I have the Iwata HP2 , probable too good for my skill level but never had any problems with it so never needed any spare  parts...... Buy some of the aerosol cleaners when you are buying your new brush, at the end of session I usually spray some of the solvent one into the brush and leave it ...... Cleanliness is next to Godliness and it is cheaper than spares. once a year I strip right down but rarely found any paint residue.
Gordon

Mobilgas

What's wrong with buying a Airbrush in... AMERICA  ;D I like spending my money on this side of the POND.
Craig

marc_reusser

I use and Iwata HP-C....and I cnnot give it a wondderful enouch review. Coast Airbrush here is selling it for 192 US...or 153 EU. (they ship worldwide).

I hope to also purchase an HP-B, as well.

The HP-C, makes the Badger and Paasche airbrushes I have look/feel/work like kids toys. I now use the latter two for rough, and scenery work only.

The Iwata is also much easier to clean than my Bager or Paasche.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on August 31, 2012, 08:36:27 PM
I use and Iwata HP-C....and I cnnot give it a wondderful enouch review. Coast Airbrush here is selling it for 192 US...or 153 EU. (they ship worldwide).

I hope to also purchase an HP-B, as well.

The HP-C, makes the Badger and Paasche airbrushes I have look/feel/work like kids toys. I now use the latter two for rough, and scenery work only.

The Iwata is also much easier to clean than my Bager or Paasche.

Barney ,

The HP-C costs £175.00 from the Airbrush Company making it 220 Euros or $277 , which is a significant difference to the price Marc quotes . So it could be worth your while buying from That Place after all ( but don't tell 'em I said so ) . However , be warned these airbrushes instantly seize up whenever you try and spray Khaki paint through them ,

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Well spotted Nick, but as young Barney has recently discovered our ever vigilant Customs & Excise would add their commission on it plus The Post Office would want a cut on top of that for collecting the C & E duty  which could add another £30 to £50 quid on  :-\ depending on how keen they were
Gordon