• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Model Neon signs

Started by Mobilgas, September 27, 2012, 10:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobilgas

I know his work has been posted here before  ;D http://alanwolfson.net/index.htm  I was looking on his site today at  the building   {Katz's Delicatessen} and was wondering ??? how he did the NEON signs in the window....I know there are model neon signs you can buy for store front windows...but they dont look right.  These signs look real ;)
Craig

Ray Dunakin

What scale is his model? The most realistic model neon I've seen was made with electroluminescent wire, and I looked into using that myself. But it's way too thick even for 1/24th scale.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mobilgas

Ray,    Good Question?  When you go to his site and click on the picture of Katz's, it will show more pictures.....and in one of them there's a US Quarter in one of the building pictures....??? maybe 1/2 scale :-\
Craig

Ray Dunakin

I sent him an email asking about the neon signs, so let's see if I can get some info from him.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Hello,

I guess the coins in the image can be seen that there is a larger scale.

The neon signs are intended plastic glass Led Signs.
Here, the desired lettering engraved into the glass and illuminated from the side with Led's.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

Hi Craig,
I have on his magnificent home, which I already knew, then read through, here are the questions and answers carefully.

First I usually work in ½ in = 1 foot scale, Which is half the size of dollhouse scale.

Second I do all the incandescent fluorescent, and fiber-optic lighting.

I kind of fiber-optic already made ​​himself so I know it.

So and now I go to build something light, that I may also once again something new to show from my mine.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

chester

Small scalers now have a rather convincing product that I have seen up close at a show. This is an ebay auction that gives more information. I believe the manufacturer will do custom work.
http://tinyurl.com/926nq5u

voyager

He does say his work now is 1/24th scale. The sign on the top of the building looks like EL wire inside letters formed from card, something like I've seen done on here by Marc (or Ken! ;D). However the window signs are on clear plastic/glass but they are multi coloured so I can't see how they could be done by engraving and side lighting as the colours would mix. The edges do look like they are side lit but my best guess for the lettering is 3d lettering stuck to the clear background and painted in fluorescent colours then lit by a hidden black (uv) light.
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!